Respect the Classics: Precision Series Doc Hudson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Precision Series Doc Hudson

Like many of you who have been collecting Cars for years (just under 10 years in my case), I get a little tired of seeing the same Cars released time and time again in different packaging (series, single versus movie moment versus boxed set)... When Mattel first announced the Precision Series, I wasn't really excited about them... but whether it was due to a lull in new releases or something else, I thought I'd give them a try... I ordered a set of Doc Hudson, Ramone, and Lightning McQueen from PCD supporter Get Me Collectibles - they were packaged extremely well and will remain carded... Shortly after I found them on Amazon and took a chance on ordering for myself and a friend in Europe... they were not packaged well - cards were bent or damaged... and some of them rattled... This morning I decided I'd open a Precision Series Doc Hudson.

Doc Hudson, voiced by Paul Newman, was an integral part of Cars in teaching Lightning McQueen life lessons... I missed his character in Cars 2... there have been many diecast releases of Doc Hudson over the years... In this installment of Respect the Classics we'll take a look at my favorite one - the Precision Series Doc Hudson.

Here's the back of the box:

Here's the UPC:

This explains the rattling sound - one of the screws holding the acrylic post in place came out:

You can see the part of the post that goes inside the case towards the upper right corner of the picture.

I removed the top of the acrylic case:

Here's the engine and the rubber tires... I see specks in the paint, which I really like - looks like my Civic did when it was new back in 2005.

Notice the rubber bands holding Doc in place.

Front view with the hood closed:

Front view with the hood up:

Blurry back view with the hood up:

Here's the bottom of the car - notice the hole that the acrylic post is supposed to go into.

The production code is 2885 EAA.

Doc looks great with the rubber tires... and I like how the hood opens and closes.

Here's a closeup of a tire - David Vincent is right - it looks fabulous:

And here's a better photo of the trunk:

And I reassembled the screw and acrylic post that had come loose... and I cut the rubber band off tonight.

Some people have found Precision Series singles at Toys R US - I've only seen Ramone... Knowing how Amazon and TRU package online orders, I'd hesitate to order ones to remain mint carded from either one of them... since my nearest TRU stores are over 60 miles away, I'm not going to get there often to look.

Are Precision Series singles worth 2 to 3 times the price of a regular single? It depends on your point of view... but I tend to think so due to the special features such as rubber tires... moving parts... being able to pose in different ways like Micky did with her Precision Series Ramone... an acrylic display case... and a very nice box.

Mattel has announced a set of Precision Series playsets - so far they have released Flo's V8 Cafe and Fillmore's Taste Inn... we've also seen 3 Precision Series singles to go with the Flo and Fillmore in the playsets... hopefully they release these in a timely manner - I'm much more excited about these than re-releases of Cars in new packaging.

As always, thanks for reading... I appreciate your comments.

Chris
    Last edited by cac1959; 02-05-2016, 02:42 AM. Reason: Added pictures

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Great detailing. But the open hoods disturb me. I don't wanna know what's inside a sentient Car personally.

Comment

good stuff, nice pics
      one new thing I learnt is that Mickey is a woman!

Comment

Great item indeed! Zoom in the pictures and pay attention to the highly detailed wheel. You should also add a clear picture of the trunk to compare this model to the regular one, it has been produced in a way that has never been done before!

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
          good stuff, nice pics
          one new thing I learnt is that Mickey is a woman!
          Yes I'm female. Girls love cars too haha.

Great article Chris, as always.

Comment

Added a couple of pictures.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

He looks fabulous! Thanks for the extra pictures!

Comment

Great pictures, Chris! I found the Precision Series Lightning McQueen at the TRU in Springfield, IL last week and bought one. I'm very impressed with the detail on these Cars! David Vincent mentioned how the wheels on the Precision Series Doc looked so much nicer, and I can't agree more. I thought I would post a comparison between the wheels of the Precision Series Doc and the Mainline Doc.

Precision Series Doc:

2015 Single Doc Hudson:

Comment

Great article, cac1959!
                  Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

@Micky, it's nice to know there's another female over here! Are we the only two, or are there more?

Great photos @cac1959! I'm really looking forward to PS Fillmore building. Someday I'd like to assemble the whole town, just like they have at DCA.
                    I reject your reality and substitute it for my own. - Adam Savage

Comment

Working...
                    X