Scavenger's Tutorial on Making Customs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scavenger View Post
    Thanks! It is quite the process, but once you have done it a few times its not as overwhelming! Not that it becomes any less work, but you dont feel as anxious about the whole thing!!

Oh and if anyone is wondering what happens if you paint when its too cold see the pic below! This was what happened when I applied clear coat in the cold, but the same thing will happen in the painting stages when its too cold! I was not a happy camper to say the least when this happened!

you can make it a limited edition with crackle finish

Comment

LOL Carslover!!

Updated!

Comment

Tutorial is pretty much complete! I need to clean some stuff up and maybe do a little reorganizing to make it easier to follow, but for the most part everyone should be able to complete there own custom by using this guide at this point!

Please if anyone has any questions post them up here and I will be glad to help!! I check the boards quite often and you may get an answer pretty quickly. No need to pm me, it much better to ask here so everyone can see the question and answer...it may help them too!

Comment

Tutorial is pretty much complete! I need to clean some stuff up and maybe do a little reorganizing to make it easier to follow, but for the most part everyone should be able to complete there own custom by using this guide at this point!

Please if anyone has any questions post them up here and I will be glad to help!! I check the boards quite often and you may get an answer pretty quickly. No need to pm me, it much better to ask here so everyone can see the question and answer...it may help them too!
          Thank you Jim, this has inspired me to start flexing my creative side again. Also, thank you for all of your advice recently.

One question I'd post here so others can see:
          Have you ever attempted painting the wheels, and if so, how did you feel about the end result?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          Check out my trades list, it's always up to date : http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...st-take-a-peek!

Comment

Yes..painting the wheels is tough..I added that to the tut today as well. I still haven't found a good way to do it! I use a paint marker for now. I like the look when I use the airbrush, but if I overspray to the tire it becomes an even bigger problem! Paintin with a brush did not look very good to me, but that doesnt mean it can't be done!

Comment

Great updates Scavenger (I've been absent recently). That quality masking tape that you use will really make a difference to the quality...

And I concur on the wheels - they're a nightmare!!!

Comment

so for a non-white car, how do you paint the windshield white?
                ...Nice pinstripe Sally...

Comment

Originally posted by EliteThink View Post
                  so for a non-white car, how do you paint the windshield white?
                  Best thing to do would be to create a decal the proper size as the windshield on white waterslide paper with the eyes. What I normally do though is just take a scrap piece of white and cut it to size and then put my clear decal eyes over top of it after it dries. Or you can spray the windshield first with white, tape it off before you spray the rest of the Car the desired color.
                  Last edited by Scavenger; 12-31-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Best thing to do would be to create a decal the proper size as the windshield on white waterslide paper with the eyes. What I normally do though is just take a scrap piece of white and cut it to size and then put my clear decal eyes over top of it after it dries. Or you can spray the windshield first with white, tape it off before you spray the rest of the Car the desired color.
                    okay, got it, thanks. I have methods but am curious of others.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteThink View Post
                      okay, got it, thanks. I have methods but am curious of others.
                      Care to share your methods if different? May be easier or better for different peoples situations.

Only other method I have tried was painting with a small paintbrush after painting the Car but it always looked like crap when it dries.

Comment

Care to share your methods if different? May be easier or better for different peoples situations.

Only other method I have tried was painting with a small paintbrush after painting the Car but it always looked like crap when it dries.
                        If the paint is in good shape the eyes can be taped off and the rest of the car is painted. Usually not quite perfect but the white looks factory.

Comment

I know it was quite a bit ago but in case anyone is unclear as to what Elite Think and I were speaking about
                          here's an example of using a scrap piece of white decal paper cut to size for the back of the eyes..

This allows for you to paint the entire car the primary color, and add the white afterwards...or as Elite Think mentioned you can try to tape off the original eyes of a Car if you are not stripping the Car.

Comment

Or if it's a dark paint (new paint), you can mask off the eyes (allowing paint to full dry). And repaint the eyes white. to avoid the Pinkeye McQueen Syndrome. Or build up multiple layers of scrap white decal paper.

Comment

Using white decals will probably look the best and most factory. Thanks for the update!

Comment

Bump...

Comment

Working...
                                X