Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Respect the Classics: The Speedway of the South Set (With Production Codes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: The Speedway of the South Set (With Production Codes)

A letter in the mail from Hot Wheels... what could it be?

Here's the letter with Certificate of Authenticity for a genuine Speedway of the South set...

One of the earliest boxed sets and at the time of release the most expensive boxed set was the Speedway of the South set... Limited to a run of 1000 pieces, the SOTS set went on sale in May 2008... To be eligible to purchase the SOTS set you had to join the Hot Wheels Red Line Collectors club... I joined in April 2008, and bought one set when they went on sale.

One of these days I'll put the Cars in the display box and put it out on display... For various reasons, many collectors did not purchase the Speedway of the South set when it went on sale... Several of the Piston Cup racers had already been released and they didn't want to purchase Cars they already had... they wanted to purchase just the Cars they needed at the approximate $4.00 price of a single... Unfortunately, Mattel didn't cooperate with those hopes... most of the racers were released, but in various formats and with other Cars or accessories that you might or might not have wanted... In this article, we'll take a look at 6 more of the Piston Cup racers from the Motor Speedway of the South set.

This set was originally advertised to be numbered as a limited release... when they shipped, they were not numbered and there was no certificate of authenticity... Due to the threat of lawsuits, Mattel did mail letters containing a hologram with the number on it... Mine is 283 of 1000... I'll add photos showing the letter and envelope that it came in.

The Box
    The Speedway of the South set came in a large box:

The display box from the Speedway of the South set is huge... I finally took pictures earlier this week - over 4 years after I got mine...

The thin brown box underneath the display box contains the 2 trays containing the 36 Cars.

Here are close ups showing the back of the box:

Side of box:

Other side of box:

Piston Cup Racers

Of the 36 Piston Cup racers in the SOTS set, Apple was only released by Mattel one time, in this set... This is currently also the only official release of Tach O Mint with plastic tires... At one time, there was a prototype of a Tach O Mint launcher... if they ever release Tach O Mint as a Pit Row Race-off launcher (or Lightyear Launcher) I will buy it... If they release Tach O Mint with plastic tires in a boxed set I will buy it.

The rest of the plastic tire Piston Cup racers have been released again as either singles, Lightyear Launchers, Pit Row Race-off launchers, or in multi-packs... in fact, some of them have been released on new 2013 and/or 2014 cardback - King, Chick Hicks, and Nitroade come to mind - or as part of the Toys R US Radiator Springs Classic cardback (Octane Gain, Shiny Wax, Lil Torquey Pistons, etc.)

While Mattel won't release the #84 Apple iCar, there are PCD members who make great Apple customs, including Scavenger.

Production Codes

Here are production codes for my Speedway of the South set... you can see pictures for each racer, including the production code, in a series of 6 articles:

http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...uth-set-Part-1

http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...uth-set-Part-2

http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...-the-South-set

http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...-the-South-Set

Tow Cap 2777 EA
    Nitroade 2777 EA
    Mood Springs 2777 EA
    Shifty Drug 2777 EA
    Easy Idle 2777 EA
    Transberry Juice 2777 EA
    Gask-Its 2777 EA
    Retread 2777 EA
    Apple 2847 EA
    Lil Torquey Pistons 2777 EA
    Bumper Save 2777 EA
    Shiny Wax 2777 EA
    Vitoline 2637 EA
    Leakless 2637 EA
    Tank Coat 2637 EA
    Rev N Go 2707 EA
    Gasprin 2637 EA
    Chick Hicks 2637 EA
    Dale Jr 2847 EA
    No Stall 2847 EA
    Clutch Aid 2777 EA
    Faux Wheel Drive 2777 EA
    View Zeen 2777 EA
    Trunk Fresh 2777 EA
    RPM #64 2847 EA
    Octane Gain 2847 EA
    Fiber Fuel 2847 EA
    Lightning McQueen 2637 EA
    Sidewall Shine 2847 EA
    N2O Cola 2777 EA
    Spare Mint 2637 EA
    Revolting 2777 EA
    Sputter Stop 2707 EA
    Vinyl Toupee 2637 EA
    Tach O Mint 2637 EA
    The King 2777 EA

Since the articles were originally published I have assembled my Speedway of the South set; I can look at it:

Apple, Dale Jr, and Tach O Mint join the display:

More join the race (and some switched positions)...

The gang's all here...

The view from the stands... I mean the stairs...

The view from even higher up the stairs (lighting is not great)...

Back under cover...

Racing 5 wide!

I feel like I'm watching NASCAR on TV from a camera at the entrance into turn 1:

Where am I going to find a place large enough to put this? It can't stay on the card table in the middle of the room...

How about on top of the Cars (china) cabinet for now...

This will work for now...

In Conclusion

I'm glad to have my Speedway of the South set on display... I can enjoy this more than looking at the cardboard box that it came in... I'm not sure how many of the 1000 sets are still together as I know of people who sold their Apple iCar shortly after the sets were released... some of the letters of authenticity have also been sold separately from the set.

As always, thanks for reading... I appreciate your comments.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

great article Chris

it would be nice to know how many complete sets still exist

Comment

Awesome article, Chris! It's too bad I never got this set because I don't have very many of the Piston Cup racers.

Comment

Great article!
        Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

Great Article Chris! Let's start the count now on MSOTS sets that are still together ... Chris you are #1. I have my complete set, so I guess we now know 2! This was my father's day gift that year. I just about died pushing the button to order one. The next day I wish I would have ordered 2!! lol

Comment

well I have a complete one so that is 3

only 997 more to go

Comment

now 4

Comment

I have one so that's 5

Comment

I have a loose set that is 99% complete just without the original apple and boxes .......one day .....sigh

Comment

Working...
                  X