Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V.A.R.I.A.N.T - Vehicles Are Really Identical Although Not Totally Lightning Mcqueen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V.A.R.I.A.N.T - Vehicles Are Really Identical Although Not Totally Lightning Mcqueen

V.A.R.I.A.N.T. - Vehicles Are Really Identical Although Not Totally.

Hi all and welcome to the first article in the series.

This is my first written article as part of the team, which aims to visually document the differences in Mattel's designs and manufacturing in all the 1.55 scale models available in their line of diecasts from Disney Pixar's film CARS 2.
    This is going to be a continuously updated feature as time goes on as the vast library of cars continues to grow and only officially released cars will be recognised and any backdoor,counterfeit or fake cars will not be included.
    The only other exclusion from these articles will be the Lights and sounds lineup which will be represented in a feature of their own.
    Most notably is the fact that this is going to be the ultimate checklist for the completist collectors among us who will find it an indispensible document and reference.
    So without further adieu,here is the first of the cars to be covered and probably the biggest reason why we started collecting these in the first place.

Lightning Mcqueen "Ka -Chow"

2011 saw the release of Disney Pixar's latest film Cars 2 and with it came a whole new range of diecasts and also a change in design of their main character Lightning Mcqueen.Initially the main recognisable differences were the rear spoiler which is now a plastic add-on as opposed to the one-piece cast of the previous version,the decals were changed to incorporate the theme behind the second film,The "World Grand Prix",wheel rims were altered,the base is now a flat molding giving the impression of a much more aerodynamically engineered race car and also the Fabulous Hudson Hornet is now part of the "Piston cup" logo.

During the course of time Mattel's designs have reverted back to the original one-piece,unibody casting as can be seen from the Hudson Hornet piston cup Lightning Mcqueen # 26 from the mainline singles.Collector's the world over have welcomed and praised the change.

From information gathered from around the world,this is a complete list of all known variants so far with pictures detailing the differences,and more importantly where to find them.

1.Lightning Mcqueen with Racing wheels, 2 piece, Segmented front ,painted front nose. -Found in singles.

2.Lightning Mcqueen with Racing wheels,2 piece,segmented front ,unpainted front nose. - Found in Target exclusive 4-packs,and Kmart exclusive twinpack with Fillmore with Headset (Please note that this is very difficult to see in bright lighting hence the darkened photos)

3.Lightning Mcqueen with Racing wheels, 1 piece cast. - Found in singles.

4.Lightning Mcqueen with Racing wheels,2 piece,Launcher mouth expression,painted front nose. - Found only in Launcher.

5.Lightning Mcqueen with Racing wheels,2 piece,Launcher mouth expression,unpainted front nose. - Found only in the initial release of Launchers.
    (please note that this is difficult to see in bright lighting hence the darkened photos

6.Lightning Mcqueen with Party wheels. - Found as the exclusive vehicle in twin pack with Francesco Bernoulli.

7.Lightning Mcqueen with Party wheels - Found in TRU exclusive "Porta Corsa Welcome" 5 pack.

8.Lightning Mcqueen with Travel wheels - Found in Twin pack Exclusive Car with Fillmore.

9.Lightning Mcqueen with Hudson Hornet Piston Cup - Found in #26 from mainline singles.

That brings us to the end of part 1 for Lightning Mcqueen,please stay "Tuned" for more variations of our star in part 2.

All comments and contributions are greatly appreciated and welcomed
    Last edited by djjd21; 10-02-2012, 10:42 PM.

I never could really tell the difference between the party and racing wheels types, so I just got the regular McQueen single#3, the Hudson Hornet Piston Cup Mcqueen, and the Ka-Chow Francesco McQueen. Oh yeah, got the Metallic red one and the Silver one. And the one with the silver numbers in the collect and connect puzzle. The more that I think about it, I got quite a few McQueens lately... Great article by the way, looking forward to the next one!

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

very neat

I am happy that I am not hardcore completionist. I do like some of the variations like the silver versions or the metallic versions.

I just realised the other day looknig on ebay that there is a small variation between the collect and connect silver mcqueen and the finish line frenzy silver mcqueen. One has red ring on the wheels and teh other has a silver ring on the wheels.

Makes me want them both, on top of the gold finish line frenzy one LOL

Transformers for Trade
      Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

Great article, djjd21! We are looking at the forum permissions to allow your entire article to display.

That's a lot of Lightning McQueens... great photos...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Wow, just wow....

So much detail about LMQ!!!

Nice one

Comment

I can't help but come back and look at all those LMQ's...........and feel jealous lol

I WILL get my hands on some of the ones I want lol. I have 3 right now, HHPCLMQ and the Racing Wheels and the shiny metallic encyclopedia.

I want the ones I mentioned in my previous post, which are both Finish Line Frenzy and the Collect and Connect McQueen. I also want KMART Silver, TRU Metallic and a fresh one of the regular Releases.

can't wait to read the rest of the article
            Last edited by DeceptiCog72283; 10-02-2012, 09:42 PM.

Transformers for Trade
            Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

Great beginning of the Variants Article djjd! It's amazing how many McQueens Mattel thinks they can shove down our throats.

Comment

A common question I get when people see my collection for the first time is; "Why so many of the same one?" Referring to all the Lightning McQueens...

Nice bit of reporting djjd21!

Comment

Hey Jason, great first go at an article! Keep it up

Comment

Working...
                  X