Respect the Classics: Send in the Clowns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Send in the Clowns

One of the parts of Pixar movies I've really enjoyed are the credits... Cars was no exception... I liked the part with PT Flea and Flick with the Circus Cars... I picked up PT Flea and Flick in a Movie Moments many years ago... back in 2014 we learned that the Circus Cars were finally going to be released... the questions was how... Would they be a special release boxed set for either SDCC (San Diego Comic Con) or D23? Either way would be a challenge to acquire without paying a lot of money... as it turns out, the Circus Cars were released as Super Chase Cars in the 2015 cardback... The Circus Cab and Circus Pickup were the first Deluxe Super Chase Cars released... The Circus Van, Sedan, and Forklift/GT were released as singles... many of them were released in retail stores... some were found on Amazon or eBay... I purchased several of them from PCD supporter Get Me Collectibles.

In this installment of Respect the Classics we'll "Send in the Clowns" and look at the Super Chase Circus Cars.

Circus Cab (Deluxe Super Chase)

On first glance there's not much special about the Circus Cab... it looks like most every Deluxe semi cab that has been released... but it contains the words Super Chase on the front of the card and the flat orange grill that is the nose... These were released on Amazon - Canadian PCD member toyfountain purchased several and helped out many people at cost... almost everyone of these released on Amazon had bent or creased cards... while we were not happy at Amazon, I think this was more of a Mattel problem... I've seen and purchased 2 of these in stores... both of those featured cards with minor bends and creases.

Here's a close up of the Circus Cab:

Super Chase Van

The Super Chase Van was the first Super Chase Circus Car single released... I found one of these at a small town Walmart store in eastern Indiana... that was the 2nd time I'd ever seen a Super Chase Card in a store - my first Super Chase find was a Long Ge at a Big Lots store... In order to better fit in the blister the left ear was not attached to the Car... you had to assemble it yourself.

I purchased a singles case from Get Me Collectibles - I wanted to be sure that I added the Super Chase Circus Van to my collection.

Circus Sedan

The next Super Chase single announced was the Circus Sedan... this has so far been the hardest to find of the 2015 Super Chase Cars in my opinion... Unlike the Cab and Van, these did not show up at Walmart and online retailers had trouble finding the case... in October 2015 they started being found at Sears, Kmart, Walgreens and O'Reilly Auto stores... I've only seen remnants of this case at one Sears store - while My Name is Not Chuck and Paul Oilkley were on the shelf, the Super Chase Sedan was long gone.

Here are a couple of closeups:

The Super Chase Circus Sedan is a heavy Car - it weighs almost 4 ounces in the package... and it looks like we may see a 2016 single based on this same new mold.

Super Chase Circus Forklift and GT

The last single Super Chase release for 2015 was the Circus Forklift and GT single... the nice thing about this is that it was a 2 pack single like Guido and Luigi or Michael and Nat... this has been found by many people at Target or Toys R US stores... I've yet to see the case anywhere... I did get one single from Amazon at the $5.99 price but my others were more expensive.

I opened the one with the most damaged cardback:

Here's a close up:

And here's a closer up:

And yes, I realize that closer up is grammatically incorrect.

It's always nice to get a 2 pack with 2 new Cars... and when that 2 pack is priced as a single, it's even better.

Super Chase Circus Pickup

The last Super Chase of the 2015 Mattel year to be released is the Deluxe Super Chase Pickup... I bought mine from PCD supporter Get Me Collectibles... Like Duff Wrecks, it's basically a white pickup truck... but unlike Duff Wrecks it has blue eyelids, red bumper and nose, and orange ears.

Here's a close up:

And a slightly closer close up:

I like the Cars pickup trucks that Mattel has released, and the Circus Pickup is no exception.

Group pictures

As I wrap it up, let's take a look at some group photos... Here are the Deluxe Circus Cars:

Here are the singles:

Here are the Circus Cars with the big round noses:

Here are the ones without the big round noses:

And here are all of them along with PT Flea and Flik:

And here's a screen capture from the movie:

So which of the Super Chase Circus Cars is my favorite? It's hard to say... I don't think I can narrow it down to just one... I'm glad that Mattel decided to Send in the Clowns... How about you?

Thank you for reading... as always, I appreciate your comments.

Chris
    Last edited by cac1959; 11-11-2015, 10:07 PM. Reason: Added photo

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Pics and article are fantastic! Well done Chris!!!

Comment

Very nice pics and article.

I'm still waiting on the truck one to complete my set. Amazon took their sweet time to ship the trucks. I'm guessing there is probably more stock for the Sedan in the Mattel warehouses. One seller on Amazon was selling pre-orders which are due in Nov 12. Let's hope they empty the warehouses reserves for Christmas and ship everything to the stores.

My personal favorites are the Forklift and GT. They are inseparable.
      Last edited by toyfountain; 11-11-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Great article and pics, Chris.

I have yet to score a Pickup.
        I think the Van is my favorite.
        Love his expression and the big ears..
        Cars Addict

Comment

Really enjoyed that! Thanks!

Comment

Nice article Chris and great photo's!

I told myself I wouldn't collect anything other than the racers but this article may have changed my mind...................................

Comment

Nice article. Too bad photobucket is blocked for me at work and I can't see any of the pictures. One of the reasons I haven't posted any photos lately.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
              http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

As always fun to read your articles. Really like the pictures on glass plate and the mirror effect. By far the best Super Chase serie.
                Still need the pick up truck

Anatomical illustrations by Jake Parker

Comment

I saw Bigfoot and his pet unicorn get out of their UFO in the local Venture parking lot the other day. We joined hands and followed the beautiful rainbow until we found a leprechaun dancing in the toy aisle. All the Clown Cars were in abundant supply, but the best part of our day was when the Cashier (a certain Mr. J. Hoffa) gave us 30% off of our purchase. Ah such memories...

Comment

Great article! The Sedan is my favorite!
                    Youtube Channel RCcars5 | Google Plus Community Disney Cars & Planes Community

Comment

has anyone found this stuff in dear old blighty?

Comment

So far it seems that the Super Chases only get shipped across the pond. Once the US retailers have moved on to newer cases. And with Amazon getting in on the sales this year. I'd be very surprised to see any get deported. To date the only Supers I can think of that has landed in the UK are 95 Fans Guido & Luigi, Ciao Francesco and possibly Trike feldman..?

Comment

A friend of mine found Circus GT/Forklift at a TRU in the UK.
                          Youtube Channel RCcars5 | Google Plus Community Disney Cars & Planes Community

Comment

never found the trike unfortunately, will keep checking tru for the circus clowns

Comment

Interesting, happy hunting boogity!

Comment

Working...
                              X