Respect the Classics: Transforming Lightning McQueen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Transforming Lightning McQueen

Do you remember the scene in Cars where Lightning McQueen is dreaming that he is going to be the new face of Dinoco? Here's a screen capture that I made tonight - I had to find my PS3 blu-ray remote to capture the screen.

Even though I've only watched Cars once in the last couple of years, I do... When I first saw this hybrid McQueen that combined Rusteze McQueen and Dinoco McQueen on eBay during the fall of 2015, I thought perhaps that it might be a Target exclusive promo for Christmas... as it turned out, he is Transforming Lightning McQueen and he is part of the Dinoco Daydream theme for the 2016 Mattel year... I wasn't sure when I'd see this McQueen so I bought a loose one early on eBay... but I've been fortunate to buy a damaged cardback version and I've found it in a few Walmart stores since it was released.

In this installment of Respect the Classics, we'll take a look at Transforming Lightning McQueen.

Here's the front of the carded McQueen - note that he's Car 1 of 9 in the Dinooco Dream theme:

Here's the back of the card along with both opened versions I have:

Here's a picture showing the backdoor version (on the left) and the opened retail version (on the right):

Looking at the front, the eyes, mouth, and eyelids are different.

Here's a side view - the backdoor version is on the left and the opened retail version is on the right:

Note that the white stripe is different and the window is different as are the arrow and the color of the 95.

Here's a front view from the top:

The stripe is different... the 95 number is different...

Here's a view from the rear and a little above:

The differences are even more pronounced in this picture:

Here's the view from the other side:

Here they are lying on their side:

Here is the bottom of the Cars - the retail version is on the right:

The production code of the retail version is 2575EAA... notice how the bottom of the base is different.

Close up of the base of the retail Transforming Lightning McQueen:

Close up of the base of the backdoor version:

And looking once again at the card and the front of the Car, notice how the card shows Rusteze McQueen in the front and Dinoco McQueen in the back, but the Car is the other way around:

Once again quality control didn't catch the error... the Car is correct - he turns to Dinoco McQueen from front to back... the picture on the card is incorrect.

So will Mattel re-release Transforming Lightning McQueen with a corrected card? It's hard to tell... I still like Transforming Lightning McQueen... I've seen it now at 4 Walmart stores - it's part of the 2016 case with Otto Bonn, Haiki, Davey Apex (Revolting), Claude Scruggs (Leakless), and Tomber... it's also been found at Walgreen's stores.

Will we see more Transforming Cars? As Brian Richardson pointed out on the PCD Facebook group, Chick Hicks has a "dream" where he becomes Dinoco Chick Hicks.

I like Transforming Lightning McQueen... I think you probably do too... and we're giving one away in a new contest along with Ice Racer Frosty.

Thanks for reading... as always, I appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by cac1959; 03-02-2016, 07:51 PM. Reason: Added photos

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

great article cac1959

you have one of the later fakes that has many differences

my earlier fake is much closer to the final release than yours

I wonder who blew it on the card graphics, so much for qc

Comment

I can't remember the last time i was excited about another Mcqueen being released

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
        great article cac1959

you have one of the later fakes that has many differences

my earlier fake is much closer to the final release than yours

I wonder who blew it on the card graphics, so much for qc

While I agree the backdoor one Chris has pictured is a blatant knockoff. Where you can clearly see they used an original McQ casting. With the sculpted eyes. The earlier backdoor you referred to I think is a factory sample. With the correct electrical stripe and the blue window. But I haven't personally had one in my hand to inspect. Just using pics I've seen as a reference.

As for the card flub up, typical Mattel. Reminds me of the Erick Laneley Fiat goof. Where was Jay Ward on this one..?

Comment

Respect the Classics: Transforming Lightning McQueen

Great article Chris. I think this is one of the more exciting McQueens to be released and will stand the test of time.

Note: I think you've mixed up the cars in a couple of the photos, but I worked out that the legit one is the one with the black front windows as it shows when it's still in the blister[emoji51][emoji1303]

Comment

I like him a lot! I'm not usually excited by another lightning and have left many in the past few years that I still don't have or want including cactus, bug mouth and determined. I was gutted though when I first found the case and he had been sold. This case is everywhere at the moment and although Otto and Haiki are usually still on the pegs, TF McQueen is sold! I'm very pleased to have this!

I like the photo comparisons too as I didn't realise the back door versions were different.

Good work Chris!

Comment

Working...
            X