Respect the Classics: Welcome to Radiator Springs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Welcome to Radiator Springs

Welcome to Radiator Springs... a sleepy little town... one of my favorite scenes and characters in Cars were when Mini and Van appeared on-screen... Mini wanted her husband, Van, to stop and ask for directions... like many men, Van was too stubborn and prideful to do so...

One of the boxed sets I was looking forward to in 2015 was the new set with Mini, Van, and Ramone... even though I already had Van as a single from the World of Cars series and Mini as a single from the Race O Rama series as part of the Kmart 2 Cars Collector Event, and more purple Ramone than I need, I wanted this set... we expected it at Toys R US in the US in 2015... but it never was released.

I was talking with Toyfountain a few weeks ago and found out that the boxed set was a pegwarmer in Canada... he offered to buy one for me and send it as part of a trade... in this installment of Respect the Classics, we'll look at the Welcome to Radiator Springs boxed set.

Here's the view from the top:

It does look like most TRU boxed sets.

Back of the box:

Here's the UPC:

Note the production code is 1885EAA

Here's the entire bottom of the box:

Why didn't we see this boxed set released at Toys R US stores in the US? It's not that boxed sets don't sell... it's boxed sets with poor contents don't sell... and I think there are a lot of collectors who didn't have Mini and Van from before that would have bought this.

The 3 pack had company on the way from Canada: Carbon Racer Rip Clutchgoneski made the trip:

I'm not going to open this as I already have Mini and Van opened... I'll try to look at the originals and the ones from this boxed set in the future and compare.

I also need to compare with the Lost in the Desert Mini and Van from the 2015 Movie Moments 2 pack:

Will Mini and Van make an appearance in Cars 3? We'll have to see... but if Cars 3 partially takes place in Radiator Springs, we just might see them.

Thank you very much for the pictures, Toyfountain, and for helping me add this boxed set to my collection.

Those of you in other countries - have you seen this in stores? And those of you in the US - would you have bought this if you would have found it in a store? Let us know.

Thank you for reading... as always, I appreciate your comments.

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Another great article Chris
    Certainatly one of the best RS Classic box sets.
    Strangely it seems to be one of the poorest selling 3-packs in my area, they are pegwarmers at my local Toys R Us's, there are about 6 at the nearest one to me, non of the other 3-Packs. The other new 3-packs (Fillmore, Sarge, Mcqueen with Shovel & Cruisin' Mcqueen, Sheriff, Mater) out at the same time sold out quickly.

Comment

Still wish they'd fix Mini's shocked/surprised eyes.

Comment

Mini's eyes are very different in the box set compared to the 2 pack, also I think the windows are a different colour too. Thanks for the great article Chris.

Comment

Yes, she's dusty in the 2-pack. Clean in the box set and single release (both without eyelids.)

Comment

Working...
          X