X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

italy plays spain

this is going to be a hard game for us.

Comment

I'd like to congratulate our friends and near neighbours from the Rep. Of Ireland for qualifying for the knock out stages!

Who'd have thought that all four teams from the British Isles would get through. Incredibly, no team won all three of their matches. Even though much of the football hasn't been that great, I think it adds the excitement that very few, if any game is a foregone conclusion.

In England our two biggest football competitions are the FA Premier League (FAPL) (the best 20 teams in England) and the FA Cup (the world's oldest and most prestigious domestic knock out cup competition, with nearly 900 entrants each year).

For me, one of the things that makes them great is that for the FAPL, anyone can beat anyone. Leicester City were last seasons champions. In 24 seasons since it was established, there have been six different winners. Also, there have been 47 different teams in the FAPL over this time. That's quite remarkable when there is only one way in and out.

In the FA Cup, there are quite regularly 'shock' results. It's probably one of the biggest attractions. Long may 'shocks' continue!

Very few, if any other major leagues have so many winners or even cup shocks!

Comment

come on ye boys in green, great result

4 home nations in the last 16, magic

need to turn me attentions to this old referendum tomorrow!

the 64 thousand dollar question, will the price of disney/mattel cars go up or down if we leave or stay in?

Comment

Unbelievable 3 games yesterday topped off by the ROI winning against Italy. I was so happy for ROI when the final whistle went, just amazing! Martin O'Neil was a little bit premature in his celebrations as he thought the final whistle had gone and was shaking the Italian Manager's hand but the ref had blown for a free kick! Then when the final whistle went Roy Kean ran on the pitch to congratulate Brady by strangling him - I was in hysterics!! Roy was even shedding a tear, him and Martin the most unlikely pairing have done the business! The whole team deserve to go through and it will be a super match against France at the weekend. The Hungry / Portugal match was fantastic and so was the Iceland game, the tournament is finally coming to life and to have all 4 home nation teams still in is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
            come on ye boys in green, great result

4 home nations in the last 16, magic

need to turn me attentions to this old referendum tomorrow!

the 64 thousand dollar question, will the price of disney/mattel cars go up or down if we leave or stay in?

The biggest variables in that are demand and Mattel's pricing policy. I guess they are (globally) priced is US$ and then coverted into a price in Euros and then GBP (to cover a range of eventualities). It's probably only if local exchange rates go beyond the established boundary that there would be a price revision. In the mid 2000's the GBP/Euro exchange rate was around 1.40. The GBP lost value from 2004 onwards and then plummeted after the General election in 2010, almost to parity with the Euro. Many things that were priced in Euros e.g. cars (not Disney Pixar Cars) saw massive price rises. With the GBP to Euro exchange rate back up to 1.40 (earlier in the year) and now around 1.30, have prices dropped, no! With a pretty strong economy in the UK at the moment, manufacturers know they can take advantage of this (charging higher prices). I suspect that Mattel (Europe/UK) are influenced by this. They are a company not a charity!

On a different issue, I'd love the Home International Championships (HIC) to return, with the Rep. Ireland too! They ended in 1984. Northern Ireland were the last winners / current holders!

I'd also love Linfield to progress in the UEFA Europa League and West Ham United get drawn against them in the 3Q Round. Windsor Park looks mighty impressive after redevelopment!

Comment

all you guys in the uk ireland wales area is on a high with all 4 teams going thru. i just hope we can win spain, last time we face them in 08 finals and lost 4-0...smh

itlay is on the side on the death. we have germany spain and few others in are side of 8

Comment

tensions mounting.........................................

Comment

what a crappy footy weekend, still good luck til the boyos from the land of song

Comment

does italy play monday

Comment

well what can you say!

Comment

...embarrassed sums it up. I still can't believe what I was witnessing last night. I did hope when I woke up this morning that it was all a bad dream, sadly not. No spirit, no determination, no communication. The England team will do well to avoid the rotten eggs and tomatoes when thy arrive home this morning. Absolute shambles.

Comment

the thing is the halfwits, hart, rooney etc, will all go on a nice holiday, come back , to to their clubs and be over paid prima donnas (read a.......s) again and all will be forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                            the thing is the halfwits, hart, rooney etc, will all go on a nice holiday, come back , to to their clubs and be over paid prima donnas (read a.......s) again and all will be forgotten
                            Originally posted by boogity
                            what a load of complete and utter pack of halfwits and arseholes, the whole lot of ,em, an embarrassment to the nation
                            I went through all manor (of negative) emotions from the moment Iceland equalised. I probably don't need to say what I actually think of the players and management. I usually stick up for managers, because the onus is on the players, once they cross the while line, the responsibility is theirs. All the players, except Rashford are seasoned FA Premier League players, along with many of the players from most of the other countries represented. They don't look inferior playing for their clubs, so why should they fail when playing for the national side? When you consider that England won all ten qualifying games, a feat that throughout UEFA history has only been achieved three times before, the poor showing in all four games was a surprise.

There's many reasons for failure, many more than the media will consider (in their moment of glory). One thing I did sense was fear. I've suffered stage fright before, it's not nice.

Three years ago, many of the players on show, whilst playing for the U21's reached the UEFA finals under Gareth Southgate. They had an impressive qualifying campaign (sounds familiar). Roy, in his infinite wisdom, decided to call up many of the U21 squad for some friendlies, rather than let them get vital tournament experience as a group. Those young players were robbed of a chance to win a tournament out of the spotlight (they were favourites) and ended up being out of their depth in the World Cup two years ago.

That was Roy's making. Many of the other successful countries allow their squads to mature and bond together, but Roy split that squad and they missed a very important part of their development.

That doesn't totally excuse the players, far from it.

Given the speed at which Roy put out his resignation speech, I wonder if the players knew, which could have contributed to exacerbating their already shallow confidence?

It's all history now and I look forward to the next World Cup qualifying campaign.

Comment

watching germany vs france. big time game .wowfrance has only got to there last 3 once

Comment

nigel, I dont know how you can look forward to the next world cup. the thing is is not if youre gonna mess up its when,
                                the rest of should be able to look forward in great anticipation, and the more I think of it the FA are really a bunch ofoverpaid halfwits with nothing constructive to offer the public

Comment

Working...
                                X