Respect the Classics - Chase Cars Part 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics - Chase Cars Part 3

The final installment for the chase cars article continues with the lenticular chase cars...

Bling Bling Lightning McQueen with Piston Cup

This car was released in Lenticular case H and also in a Walmart End Cap. The car was the first chase car to be released with lenticular eyes. An error of this car has been found (only one) that has the King Piston Cup.

The King with Ransburg Finish

This car was released in Lenticular case J. This is one nice looking car and is thought by most collectors to be the best lenticular car released... the paint job is one of the best.

Van with Stickers

This car was released in Lenticular case K. Probably the most sought after lenticular chase car if you can actually find one with bumper stickers on the back. A huge production error by Mattel saw the majority of the Van with Stickers car made and distributed without the actual sticker, but was still in chase packaging - much to the annoyance of collectors. Chase Van with the actual sticker is one of the most expensive Chase Cars to obtain.

Fred with Fallen Bumper

This car was released in Lenticular case L. This car can be seen in the movie when Lightening McQueen talks to Fred in the Rusteze tent and knows his name.

US and International Chase Fred with Fallen Bumper:

Cardbacks:

Fillmore with Organic Gas Cans

This car was released in both Lenticular case M and Lenticular Case R

Rusteze Lightning McQueen (with Rusteze Can)

This car was released in Lenticular case N.

Mater with Oil Can

This car was released in Lenticular case P.

Paint Mask Lightning McQueen

This car was released in Lenticular case Q (UK only) and also as part of the KMart 5 case. This car can be seen in the movie when Lightning McQueen is "helping out everyone in town" and getting a paint job by Ramone.

Mater with Lamp (i.e. Mater with Ghostlight)

This car was released in Lenticular case S. This car, well accessory, can be seen int he short "Mater and the Ghostlight" which is availble on the Cars DVD.

Do you notice anything different about this Mater with Glow in the Dark lamp?

Mater with Hood

This car was released in both Lenticular case T and Lenticular case W. Mater can be seen with his hood in the movie for a short period of time when he manages to hook it out of the canyon, just before he sneezes and it jumps back in...

Dinoco Lightning McQueen with Celebrity Signature

This car was released in Lenticular case X along with Yeti with Snow Cones. This car / accessory can be seen int he movie when Lightening McQueen is dreaming of being sponsored by Dinoco after he wins the Piston Cup.

Yeti with Snow Cones

This car was released in Lenticular case X along with Dinoco Lightning McQueen with Celebrity Signature (but not in the UK!!!). This car can be seen in the movie during the end credits at the Drive-In theater during "Toy Car Story".

Luigi with Paint Bucket and Guido with paint Rollers

This car was released in Lenticular case Y. These cars can be seen in the movie when both Guido and Luigi are painting Casa Della Tires (it hurts me to spell tyres that way, but that's the say it is in the movie!) after Lightning McQueen has laid the first part of the new road (and Lizzie says it makes Luigi's place look like a dump).

The Chase Guido and Luigi has not yet been released in the US in large quantity - we wonder where those cases and Cars are...

In Conclusion

Even though she has never been released as a chase car, the real chase has always been for Lizzie!!! Lizzie was released as a Desert Back single, as a Supercharged single, and as a single in an exclusive Walmart case W on World of Cars cardback as well as in a few boxed sets... Lizzie has not been released since 2008 and has never been released on Race O Rama cardback or as a lenticular.

So far there have been no chase cars released associated with Cars 2, but there has been an announcement as part of the D23 expo on 19th August 2011 that a new line called "Super Chase" is to be released. These "Super Chase" cars are to be the national racing cars that were shown in the regional variations of the Cars 2 movie. it is not know when these will be released nor how many of the cars will be released either - we are led to believe that it will be less than one per case...

Great article, Mr. B. Fred with fallen bumper was the first chase car I ever bought. We were new collectors and bought it because we didn't have Fred yet. I didn't even know what Chase meant but it said on the package that the car was supossed to be rare. Didn't seem very rare because it was in every store we went to! We were still trying to get at least one of each character at the time, so we skipped the next several chase cars. The chase cars came in handy when we started trading at the beginning of this year, and we built up our collection very nicely. Looking forward to trying to find the first super chase for Cars 2.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Awesome article - I love the information for the Chase Cars and I had been wondering about Chases Cars for the Cars 2 crowd.

Comment

My first Chase car was Metallic / Ransburg King. When I got him I had no idea what a chase car was - the staff at the Disney Store just told me it was a hard one to get. I think I got him before I got the normal King. I used to read about chases (the next 2 I got were Van with Stickers and Fred with Fallen Bumper) and people on CTT were messaging me about getting them a chase van - I had no idea what they were talking about. It took me about another 2 weeks to work out what a chase car was...

I do miss the chase car as it made it easier to identify which case selection the stores were on and also gave "hunting" more of a purpose...

I'm not sure about the new Super Chase idea...

Comment

Being a collector of baseball cards growing up I was use to some of their insert or chase cards. I lucked up on a Lightning McQueen /w Stickers with the Chase symbol on it when I first started buying Cars a few years ago. The final lap series has been almost as bad. I am still missing several of the last eight or ten that was released. The Ransburg paint jobs are the best, too bad they did not produce a Wingo, Snot Rod, and Boost like that. The little ones love that foursome of Cars characters. Hug fan of Snot Rod myself, nothing like that American muscle card.

Comment

Another great article, MrBrownstone... now if we can just get your photographer to get going with more photos and articles...

I'd also like to thank my UK friends who have helped me acquire International carded Chase Cars (Rippers, MrBrownstone, Madbob, pauljames84, dumbleweed)... I hope I'm not forgetting anybody... I couldn't have provided the photos without your help...
            Last edited by cac1959; 10-14-2011, 07:00 PM.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

AWESOME!!!!!
              love it!
              PEACE is not the answer

Comment

Thanks for the great article, Mr. B. I sure do miss hunting for those chase cars- even the super lame ones like oil can Mater and McQueen with Rust-eze can. Ah, the good ol' days....

Comment

The chase cars are always hard to find, But I all of them was easy to find them at all the store. Exapt the Chase Guido and Luigi thats was the only one I did a trade for them last year.

Comment

Working...
                  X