Respect the Classics: 2015 Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: 2015 Cars

We're halfway through February and the first 3 months of the Mattel year are almost complete... it's been a long dry spell as far as Cars are concerned... I've only seen 2015 singles at Walgreen's stores... and as of today I've now seen 2015 Movie Moments at Walmart and Meijer stores... I've seen pegs for Deluxe at Meijer but no Cars... and as of Saturday I've now seen the new wave of Toons at 1 Walmart store... thankfully I've been able to order the new Cars I crave from PCD supporter Get Me Collectibles as well as a few from Amazon.

So far, almost all the Cars that I've bought in the 2015 have been released previously... I find that frustrating - some of you may find that frustrating as well.

In this installment of Respect the Classics we'll take a look at some of the 2015 releases that I've gotten in the last 2 months.

Easy Idle (Ruby "Easy" Oaks)

The Easy Idle/Easy Idle Pitty was one of the 4 Movie Moments in the first 2015 case... I ordered 1 of each of the 4 to keep carded from Get Me Collectibles... I noticed that the first one I ordered had a strange rim - turned out that it was a Jeff Gorvette rim... I ordered another one from Get Me Collectibles to keep carded... I have a full Easy Idle opened set, including an unreleased crew chief and pitty... then several of you mentioned that the racer was a variant with a different mouth and flat (painted) eyelids... so when I found the case at Walmart, I bought one to open - I opened it this evening:

Notice that the pitty has a different expression than the original pitty:

(Left to right: old Easy Idle, new Easy Idle, new pitty, old pitty)

Also note that the new pitty is more of a unibody design - it does look nicer, in my opinion.

Here's a new photo comparing the 2 official releases of the Easy Idle Pitty:

And here are a couple more pictures showing the unreleased Easy Idle Crew Chief and an unreleased Easy Idle Pitty:

I like those 2 unreleased Cars... hopefully Mattel will release them sometime:

Another change I just noticed this evening is that the production code on the new racer is not stamped in white ink but is engraved on the base - mine has a production code of 2494AZ.

Is he Ruby "Easy" Oaks or Rudy "Easy" Oaks? it appears differently on the front and back of different 2 packs.

RPM Crew Chief/Petrol Pulaski

Chief RPM and Petrol Pulaski are also different than they were in earlier releases... Notice that the black line around the windshield is dotted in the old RPM Crew Chief...

And the new version of Pitty Petrol Pulaski on the left is the unibody design compared to the 2 piece on the right:

The production code on the RPM crew chief is also engraved on the base and not stamped... Mine has a code of 2654AZ - that's 16 days after the factory made Easy Idle.

Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

Believe it or not, I couldn't find an open Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen... and rather than opening a Radiator Springs Classic version I decided I'd buy a second 2 pack and open it.

I'll have to go back and watch the movie again sometime... I'm trying to remember if he had Rusteze on the rear spoiler.

Francesco Bernoulli/Guiseppe Motorosi

While this is my favorite of the 4 Movie Moments in the first 2015 case, it's the only one I haven't opened yet... I'm not sure if there are differences between this crew chief and the first release from a Kmart exclusive 2 pack...I'll have to check.

Kevin Racingtire (Shifty Drug)

(Photo by Scavenger... used by permission)

Kevin Racingtire, AKA Shifty Drug, was a single in the first 2015 singles case... he's also made a return in the latest case that was available on Amazon the first week of February... Cars hunter extraordinaire and friend Ferris sent me a Shifty Drug from the first case back in November... but look at the above photo from Scavenger... The brand new release of Shifty Drug on the bottom has been corrected to the pinkish color that it should be - the same color that the Shifty Drug Hauler is:

I bought the Shifty Drug and Vinyl Toupee Haulers at Kohl's back in the summer of 2010 - almost 5 years ago.

I didn't order Kevin Racingtire (Shifty Drug) from Amazon when they put 2015 Cars singles on sale the first week of February... I already had him on 2015 cardback... Oops! Now I'm on the lookout for 2 or 3 of the corrected color Shifty Drug - 1 to keep carded... 1 to open for display... and 1 to have turned into a custom Kmart rubber tire racer (if I have an extra carded Shifty Drug).

In Conclusion
    Hopefully the 2015 Mattel year will pick up soon... so far there's actually just two new Cars - Jumpstart J Ward is a new color of the Jaguar that's been used for David Hobbscapp (green) and Victor Paveone (yellow) and it turns out that Determined Lightning McQueen has a new facial expression... hopefully we'll be able to start finding the new Cars in stores soon... we've talked about where have all the new Cars gone in other threads... we want to do more than talk about where the new Cars are... we want to find them and we want to buy them.

I still haven't found 2014 case L singles in stores... and as I said earlier, the only 2015 singles I've found in stores have been at Walgreen's stores... I've gotten some from Get Me Collectibles and some from Ferris - all those have been wrapped in bubblewrap to be shipped to me... the ones I bought from Amazon were not wrapped in bubblewrap and while mine were not badly damaged cards, others have received cards that were badly damaged.

So far the 2015 Car that I'm most looking forward to is Tach O Mint - that case hasn't shown up in the US... I did order one single from a French eBay seller earlier this evening... while I have the Speedway of the South version and the Kmart rubber tire version, I don't have a non-custom or plastic tire version and one that I have has the Vitoline axles and black rims.

As always, thanks for reading... your comments are appreciated.

Chris
    Last edited by cac1959; 02-16-2015, 08:11 PM. Reason: Added photos

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

OH god the v-words!!!!

Dirty, dirty, dirty....

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
      OH god the v-words!!!!

Dirty, dirty, dirty....
      haha

Collect them all !!

Great article Chris !
      Cars Addict

Comment

Great article, Cac1959!
        Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

Great article!
          Youtube Channel RCcars5 | Google Plus Community Disney Cars & Planes Community

Comment

very nice, I noticed when I picked up the Easy Idle 2 pack at WM he had a different mouth then the other Piston cup racers previously released, I thought that was cool to at least see some variation.
            "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

Added more photos, including 2 showing the unreleased Easy Idle Crew Chief and an unreleased Easy Idle Pitty.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Just throwing this out there:

I used to collect Hot Wheels Monster Jam trucks from 2006 up until about 2013, and I stopped because I felt like everything that was being released in the old days that I already had was just being released again as a variant and there wasn't enough new stuff to make trucking onwards worthwhile

I am feeling eerie connections between then with the Monster Jam trucks and now with CARS

Comment

So far 2015 looks like a bummer of a year for those of us that have been in it from the start....I've seen nothing "new" around here yet and not much on the horizon. I will be adding to the new direction my collection seems to be going....FTAAS!! First Time As A Single!!

Comment

Working...
                  X