Retail: Looking at Kmart 7 years later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail: Looking at Kmart 7 years later

Last week I directed brownsfan1092 and other to look at an article on the History of Kmart Cars Collector Events:

http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...thread.php?172

I wrote the article in June 2011 but went back to the first event in October 2008... with a recent announcement that the Eaton Ohio Kmart was closing, yet another Kmart store that I went to for the event is closing or has closed.

Here are Kmart stores that have closed in the last 5 years:

Trotwood, Ohio
    Springfield, Ohio (2)
    Fairborn, Ohio
    Piqua, Ohio
    Greenville, Ohio
    Xenia, Ohio
    Connersville, Indiana
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Decauter, Indiana
    Muncie, Indiana
    Huntington, Indiana
    Bedford, Indiana
    Indianapolis (at least 3 stores)

And I'm missing a few - I would make a full day trip to visit as many Kmart stores as I could - at least 8 and some years more... and I'd make trips to other stores the next day... I have the in-store cardboard posters from the first 9 Kmart events... I bought well over 1000 Cars total during the store events... I mailed many to friends who did not have Kmart stores near them or in their country.

After the next closings, I'll be left with the local Kmart store on the west side of town and 3 Kmart stores in the Dayton, Ohio area... There are currently 42 Kmart stores listed in Ohio but at least 4 of them are closing according to the 78 store list... And while there are only 22 Indiana Kmart stores open as of today, at least one of them is closing.

I hate to see stores close... but you have to spend money to make money and that's not how the most recent CEO of Sears Holdings has operated the company... Inventory was usually low... store floors and shelves were often dirty... ceiling tiles were water-stained and had been for years... restrooms were dirty... Sears and Kmart used to be relevant places to shop - Kmart for Cars and Hot Wheels and maybe a few occasional items... my wife and I had bought Kenmore appliances from Sears in the past... in the last 2 years the only time I'd gone into Sears stores was when the Circus Sedan case had been found at Sears (and I never found one)... I only stop at the local Kmart because it's a 1/2 mile from the bowling alley where I bowl on Wednesday nights from September - mid April.

Kay-Bee Toys shut down in 2007 - I remember seeing and leaving Rollin Bowlin Mater at $9.99... I hadn't really become a Cars-a-holic by then so I didn't buy it.

What company will be the next to close more stores? I don't think we're going to have to wait a long time to find out.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

I honestly don't even consider stopping at Kmart anymore! I went to one a couple days ago to grab something for Ferris and the selection of Cars was not worth the energy of walking over to the aisle to look at!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think K-Mart will eventually close shop. Meijer and Walmart are going strong. I think Toys'R'Us does well too. For H-E-B being primarily a grocery store, their cars selection is usally pretty good.

Comment

my closest kmart closed last month
        the only other kmart I know of in Texas is 2 hours away from me and not worth the effort if it is even still there
        so I am glad the kmart exclusives are a thing of the past

Comment

Noticed the demise of kmart with my own eye's, was in florida last Oct/Nov and couldn't find one. Previous trips I could see no investment being put into these stores so it was just a matter of time. Thankfully I had you guy's to get me the final promo.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely in the hospice care stage. Instead of Blue Light it's going to be Code Blue soon enough for Sears Holdings IMO.

Comment

The only one around that I knew of was the one on Fort Hood Street in Killeen Texas. Not positive where Tyler Texas is in relation to where I live there.

Comment

Originally posted by brownsfan1092 View Post
                The only one around that I knew of was the one on Fort Hood Street in Killeen Texas. Not positive where Tyler Texas is in relation to where I live there.
                thanks brownsfan

Killeen is about a four hour drive from Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                  Definitely in the hospice care stage. Instead of Blue Light it's going to be Code Blue soon enough for Sears Holdings IMO.
                  im sure my kmart will be next to shut the doors. really bad company overall. have not been in there to look for cars since the last kmart day. i have never score disney cars there outside the event if i can remeber right

Comment

I'm just wondering if Kmart Australia is own by the same mob or are a separate company all together because here they are the first to get anything in and have been my main source of cars. Also there are no reports of any closing. To my knowledge there are about 40 in Victoria and 29 are in Melbourne and surrounds and 3 in Geelong

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
                      thanks brownsfan

Killeen is about a four hour drive from Tyler
                      It does surprisingly good business for how rough looking and run down the store is. Then again it is a military town. I don't mind shopping there, but the disney cars are always broken in package there. Not worth buying. Walmart, TRU, and HEB have better selections usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Homercleez View Post
                        I'm just wondering if Kmart Australia is own by the same mob or are a separate company all together because here they are the first to get anything in and have been my main source of cars. Also there are no reports of any closing. To my knowledge there are about 40 in Victoria and 29 are in Melbourne and surrounds and 3 in Geelong
                        Kmart Australia are owned by Wesfarmers. Part of same company as Target, Bunnings and Coles so the parent company is doing way better than America's parent company.

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...s-us/83356912/

it looks like 78 will be done soon, sad company imo most r back east few in cali.

stores closing:

http://fortune.com/2016/04/22/sears-...s-close-where/
                          Last edited by musicnywu1; 05-25-2016, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X