Respect the Classics: Precision Series Fillmore's Taste-In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Precision Series Fillmore's Taste-In

As a long time Cars collector, there are certain things about the world of Cars that I like more than others... I really liked the original movie from 2006... I watched it over 150 times when my grandson Austin was 4 to 5 year old... it seems to me that he had the entire movie memorized... I enjoyed the Piston Cup races a lot but enjoyed Radiator Springs even more... I bought the original 4 Toys R US exclusive playsets and was disappointed when more of them were not released... I bought GeoTrax Cars sets to get more buildings and received several additional custom buildings such as Sally's Cozy Cone, Sarge's Surplus Hut, and the Radiator Springs Courthouse from our very own GotFrank... still, I wanted more (isn't that just like a Cars-a-holic?)... When Mattel announced the Precision Series i was semi-excited - Flo's looked nice but at $100 for a playset I felt it was too much money... when I saw pictures from Toyfountain I felt my resistance begin to fade... when it went on sale I got one... and after I did I knew I wouldn't be able to say no to future playsets.

Here is a picture of my GeoTrax Fillmore's:

The Cars/trains actually go through the tent... and there is an unlabeled gas pump.

Here is my custom Fillmore's made by our own GotFrank:

Josh did a great job on this one as well as the other ones he has made.

Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for the second set, Fillmore's Taste-In... PCD supporter Get Me Collectibles got some in and I purchased one... Once I opened Flo's I knew I would have to open Fillmore's Taste-In... and today I did... Fillmore's is a great looking building/playset... and as GotFrank would say, it's only Semi-Precision Series as there are things missing that shouldn't be... still, I'm very happy with it and hope that Mattel releases the other 9 buildings shown on the enclosed poster... In this installment of Respect the Classics we'll look at the Precision Series Fillmore's Taste-In.

Here's a view of another side of the box:

And here's a description on the back of the box:

The UPC:

It was easier for me to get Fillmore's out of the box that it was Flo's:

The way it lights up is cool:

The enclosed poster is a sepia print... it was in a bag tucked underneath the bottom of the playset and the cardboard box:

It's a little easier to read once it's removed from the plastic bag:

Here's the top half of the town...

Did you know the crossing street was named Cross Street? Neither did I.

Here's the bottom half of Radiator Springs:

Let's zoom in so we can see the list of the rest of the buildings:

We now have Fillmore's and Flo's... only 9 more to go... according to Eli, Mater's Towing and Salvage Yard will be released next, based on the information he's received from Mattel.

The bag containing the street was under the poster:

Note the code, DHJ36, on each piece of cardboard that surrounds the plastic release:

Fairly thorough documentation:

And as you take it out of the box, don't forget the organic gas can:

Here are a few more pictures:

Fillmore does "glow" in the dark:

The on-off switch and AC adapter port are shown in this picture:

And here's a side view:

Shown next to Flo's V8 Cafe:

Although coming in from out of town Fillmore's comes before Flo's:

And actually Sarge's Surplus Hut and Doc's Ornament Valley Mechanical Clinic are between Fillmore's and Flo's.

I am definitely much more excited about the Precision Series than I was when they were first announced... I can see myself getting 2 of each... and I seriously need to downsize my collection of extras so I can display my Precision Series Radiator Springs on my IKEA table (23.5" x 80").

For now, I've moved them onto a work table that I bought at Menard's a couple of years ago:

What Precision Series Cars and playsets have you bought? Are you as excited about the Precision Series as I am?

Thanks for reading... As always, I appreciate your comments.

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Fantastic Article, i ordered mine from Amazon the other day, really looking forward to getting it.
    I will need to make a lot of space for the entire town, May have to remove my bed from my room.

I think that it would look better with the other bigger windmill (not sure what this type is called)

Comment

Great article! I've bought one of each of the Precision Series items and plan to buy each building as they are released. I'm very excited about the Precision Series, but I'm a little doubtful that Mattel will release every building.
      Youtube Channel RCcars5 | Google Plus Community Disney Cars & Planes Community

Comment

Great article as usual Chris, thanks for giving everyone a look a Fillmore's. I don't know that I knew that it is Cross Street. I kinda figured it was 1st Street as it's the only street besides Route 66.

And yeah not to beat a dead horse (I wonder where that expression even comes from...)

But Chris was spot on, Quasi-Precision Series or Semi-Precision Series is more accurate IMO. I think Mattel rode the fence on this issue. They made Flo's sign way too chunky and short. As well as the torii-like gate of Fillmore's. Looks Mega Blocks or Geo Trax to me... They make these for "adult collectors" but build them to be safe for kids to play with. Which would make sense if it were not for previous precision scaled choking hazards like; Piston Cups, oil cans and Allinol cans. That were released with non "adult collector" toys. Additionally as Chris pointed out Fillmore's is missing things. Like the doors or structures on the inside of his doorway. Clearly visible on the picture on the box. Also the awning\entrance is not the same material as the rest of the dome. And should not be translucent. The dome is a canvas pole construction. the entrance is a composite of wood metal and shingles. The lawn ornaments are chunky as well. The "TASTE-IN" awning rubs me wrong too. They could have painted the support poles brown or made it with more than a one piece construction. But the the most unforgivable omission is Fillmore's Organic Fuel visible gas pump! It's part of an integral scene in the film.

I held off on the V8 Cafe' until Amazon had Bessie for $7 as an add on item. So I pulled the trigger on Flo's for $44 and free shipping. Let's hope they don't go all Ace Ventura with my package. As I plan to keep both in package.

As for Fillmore's... I have a gas pump and a dome already.

But if it ends up on Amazon for 60% off and I have some foldin' money in my pocket at the time, maybe...

And I'm partially on board with RCcars5's comment. Mattel's reputation for finishing anything is abysmal at best. This would have to be the exception that proves the rule. I think they shot themselves in the foot by leading with Flo's. A previously released set (also with lights). At a rather high price point. Which lead to poor sales and deep discounts. If that trend persists. I would not be shocked at all. If Mattel bails on the line before they complete it. I hope not. For the sake of all the collectors who have been waiting years. To complete the rest of the town.
        Last edited by GotFrank; 02-14-2016, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Great writing and photos Chris. I enjoyed that a lot.

I didn't realise the whole town was going to be released although maybe it won't judging by the comments above!

Comment

Added 4 more pictures, including photos of my GeoTrax Fillmore's and custom Fillmore's by GotFrank.

And I agree with GotFrank - I think Mattel should have released the less expensive ($50 retail) play sets before they released the more expensive ($100) Flo's V8 Cafe.

I sure hope they finish this product line... just because we've seen prototypes or retail versions of a Cars item doesn't mean it's actually going to be released (see Shiny Wax Hauler, N2O Cola and Easy Idle Team Crew sets, etc.)...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

good stuff there chris
              2 probs with this precision stuff

1 lack of space
              2 if you start with one youre gonna have to keep going and get the lot..and that is gonna cost

have yet to decide,

ps no 3 , sneaking them in past her indoors!

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                good stuff there chris
                2 probs with this precision stuff

1 lack of space
                2 if you start with one youre gonna have to keep going and get the lot..and that is gonna cost

have yet to decide,

ps no 3 , sneaking them in past her indoors!
                I hear you, boogity... they do take space... and I am going to continue - hopefully they will release them all... and hopefully no more of them cost $100 each retail like Flo's did.

As far as number 3, you'll have to get your wife out of the house so you can sneak them in... I'm sure you can come up with a way.

Chris

Comment

Great article! Any idea when Fillmore's will be available for purchase? I just checked Amazon, and there is no sign of it.
                  I reject your reality and substitute it for my own. - Adam Savage

Comment

It's been found at Toys-R-Us in Texas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEY-PIXAR...QAAOSwezVWweLY

Just slightly above the TRU retail price of $49.99

Comment

Posted by Eli on the PCD Facebook group earlier today... Mattel has sold out of the Fillmore's Taste-In... If you want to add this to your collection, you will probably want to pick one up if you see it at Toys R US or see it online on Amazon.

Comment

Still weird Mattel. Flo's V8 Café were available at shop.mattel.com, but not Fillmore's Taste-In.
                        Fillmore's Taste-In has been only available during 1 day by amazon.com.
                        I wonder who and how anybody have been able to get one?
                        Fortunately, I got mine at home this week, bought at a reasonable price on eBay...

Comment

Originally posted by David Vincent View Post
                          Still weird Mattel. Flo's V8 Café were available at shop.mattel.com, but not Fillmore's Taste-In.
                          Fillmore's Taste-In has been only available during 1 day by amazon.com.
                          I wonder who and how anybody have been able to get one?
                          Fortunately, I got mine at home this week, bought at a reasonable price on eBay...
                          I agree with you, David Vincent... Mattel distribution is still weird... glad to hear that you were able to get Fillmore's Taste-In for a reasonable price.

Comment

The V8 Cafe' was made "out of stock" on ShopMattel.com around Christmas. Then showed up at Sarge's Surplus Hut at Disneyland. All as the Amazon prices were plummeting. I suspect Mattel changed their tack. And moved more Precision product to Disneyland and Toys-R-Us. Where they could fetch a more stable price point. Just a theory.

Comment

Just received my 'Filmore's Taste in' today and it is a very nice piece.

I got mine off amazon the second day it became available, i saw it on the first day but was too slow on deciding to get it, it became available a couple of days later so i bought it immediately.

Comment

Working...
                              X