Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boogity Boogity Boogity! Darrell Cartrip handmade Sculpture!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogity Boogity Boogity! Darrell Cartrip handmade Sculpture!

While not technically a custom...

He is made out of clay. Many mistakes. Most noticeably, he is not wide enough. You will have to excuse it as i had to restart two times and only had about two days to do the sculpt. I choose Darrell as in my opinion is the best looking car. How can you not love a silver Monte Carlo with flames??

To achieve this look, I first had to take a block of clay. Then take chunks out of it and use this thing to flatten the pieces of clay. Then cut the pieces into shapes. As in the sides, hood, roof, etc.Put those together with help of some water, then carve and do the sculpting. (The wheels are clay too) A piece fell off if you look closely in the first picture. Located on his side in the front. Next it went into the kiln to make it solid. Yeah, it's pretty intense. It's like 4,000 degrees? Took a whole day to finish it in the kiln. If your curious as to were i did this i should mention that I just graduated high school Friday, so i did this in Art class.

As for painting it, i was afraid the normal paint would not turn out shiny so i decided to spray paint it. I was originally going to print out pictures to use as decals but it was hard enough finding pictures of exact straight angles from all the sides...since my car is not accurate in proportions, the flames would not work well. So i decided it best to just simply paint them. I also left the grille silver on purpose. I just liked the look of it silver rather than plain black. I used super strong glue to paste on the "Decals".

Trust me, it's big! Sad part is, it almost was twice this size if i recall correctly. His back bumper should have the round umm... things. I tried to include them at first, but i gave up on that. Don't feel too bad, the DS version didn't either!

The wheels do move...well, a little. He is poseable though!
    I was on a time crunch so as much as i would have loved too, i was unable to get it glazed. That would give it a more realistic car look. Like a coffee mug.
    The (rubber) wheels were borrowed from the Cars tire stacking game...convenient! While the word "Lightyear" was already on the real tires, they did not bother to paint them. So i took the liberty in doing that myself.

I appreciate your feedback. And if you would like to see more you may feel free to check my PhotoBucket account as it is public.

As always thanks for looking!

Ka-Chigga, Ka-Chow, and Ka-Ciao!
    DjB
    Last edited by DjB; 06-10-2013, 04:54 AM. Reason: Photos not showing

Ka-Chigga, Ka-Chow, and Ka-Ciao! - DjB

How do you work the pictures again?

EDIT: Okay, now i know i need the end to include / in [/IMG]
    Unless it shows up for you, there's no pics showing up.
    Last edited by DjB; 06-10-2013, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DjB View Post
      How do you work the pictures again?
      I'm looking for you on Photobucket but don't see you

When I bring up photo on Photobucket, there are 4 boxes - here's a screen shot showing the photo and the boxes:

I click on the 4th box, next to IMG, which copies the IMG code to the clipboard... I then go into my PCD post and paste it via the Ctrl V keyboard shortcut.

Hopefully this helps... I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Congratulations on your recent high school graduation!

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
        I'm looking for you on Photobucket but don't see you

When I bring up photo on Photobucket, there are 4 boxes - here's a screen shot showing the photo and the boxes:

I click on the 4th box, next to IMG, which copies the IMG code to the clipboard... I then go into my PCD post and paste it via the Ctrl V keyboard shortcut.

Hopefully this helps... I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Congratulations on your recent high school graduation!

Chris
        Many thanks Chris! I really do appreciate it!
        (My photobucket account would be Djbennett22 by the way.)

Comment

Nice work...

Comment

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing the photos of your work.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Thanks Brownstone and cac!

Comment

Darrell took 1st place at the fair!
                Woohoo!!

Comment

wow! I think you did an awesome job! No matter the slight errors I still see Darrel when I look at him!
                  "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

You can see it is Darrel for sure! Did you enjoy creating it?

Comment

Thanks CarsDiecast08 and Dutch Stickers! I definitely enjoyed creating him. It was fun doing this sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DjB View Post
                        Thanks CarsDiecast08 and Dutch Stickers! I definitely enjoyed creating him. It was fun doing this sort of thing.
                        Are you already busy with another sculpture project?

Comment

Nope. But I think i'd be cool to make more.

Comment

Working...
                          X