Speedway of the South Custom Pit Crew Part 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedway of the South Custom Pit Crew Part 2

I have started working on a new batch of custom crew chiefs. I have allot of respect for those that do this for a living. It is taking me a couple of weeks per car; you need to paint strip them, sand and wash them, 2 coats of primer, try to match the paint color to the racer, paint them, add detailing, add decals, then clear coat...

Here are photos of 4 more piston cup crew chiefs in varying stages of completion. TankCoat, RPM and Leakless were all Chuck Manifold's with headphones in the movie so I am trying to stay as close as possible to the 'real' thing.

Maybe you could turn an extra Francesco into Rip Clutchgonski? I have an extra Fran or two laying around if you would like to try. I know my 3 year old wouldn't be able to tell the difference in body styles, but he keeps asking where the other race car is...

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Very nice, Conrad!

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

That would be a cool custom; if you send me a Fran I will do my best to make your son one
        The biggest obstacle is the paint; in Canada we have new laws around chemical products and model spray paint is currently on the banned list
        If you could track down the paint color of Rip and send some with the Fran i will do up a custom for you
        Remember, I am a newbie at this custom thing- so do not expect ShopLucky quality haha

Comment

After looking at the images of the cars, Rip shares elements with both Francesco and Shu. Didn't realize Rip is not open wheeled and the front end is totally different. Might not be able to paint this guy after all.

Great job on the custom crew chiefs. I guess there is more than one way to get them all without waiting around for Mattel!

Comment

Have been spending most of the past years spare-time working on building a scale diorama of the Speedway of the South
            I undertook the challenge of trying to build all 36 Piston Cup racers (actually 37 as Texas Tea was created).
            Wanted to try to build the race teams as close to the movie as possible; so RPM, Leakless and TankCoat crew chiefs are based on the Chuck Manifold body type
            Here is the latest update on 5 of the latest crew chiefs; still need to have the detailing done (front and rear lights), wheels added and some clear coat
            Tomorrow I will post the pitty's and tool boxes

Comment

Awesome. Can't wait to see your pitties.

Comment

Sweet. Would like to add all exept Tank Coat to my collection - I'm personally not big on the Chuck Manifold thing and would rather have them be the same as the Mattel Chief RPM - but hey, those are INSANE customs there my friend!

Comment

Absolutely incredible, Conrad... Those crew chiefs are awesome... wish I had a set of those.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Hey Bumper Save
                    Mattell made the first run of crew chiefs in a stock Shiny Wax/No Stall/Sparemint chassis- I guess to save money
                    In the movie RPM, Leakless and TankCoat are all crew chiefs on a Chuck Manifold chassis
                    I wanted my pit row to be as close to the movie as possible.
                    These are the hardest to make as Chuck is tiny and there are no holes in the roof for the headphones (oh, and I need to make the headset smaller to fit the Chuck)

Comment

Freaking AMAZING.... gREAT JOB cVC, Transberry C/Chief is so beautiful and I'm really into how the TankCoat pitty turned out aswell, specially using Chuck for a body. Well done

Comment

Those look great cvc1968 - keep up the good work

Comment

That is some VERY NICE WORK!! Well done mate.

Comment

Here come the pit crews...
                            IMG_0207.jpgIMG_0203.jpgIMG_0197.jpgIMG_0193.jpgIMG_0182.jpg

Comment

IMG_0178.jpgIMG_0188.jpgIMG_0185.jpgIMG_0205.jpgIMG_0195.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X