Rip Clutchgoneski....Meh.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip Clutchgoneski....Meh.

Since recently joining this forum I've read a LOT of posts about this car's scarcity and desirability. Normally in collecting anything, the two things go hand in hand but from an outsiders (primarily DS collector) perspective, I don't understand it.

Rip has been freely available as a DS 1:43 for ages, the only exception being he was missing from the big 20+ sets which featured the racers in a gorgeous metallic finish. But I've never even been slightly tempted to buy him even when in a 2-pack. As a character, I just don't get the interest...

- Afterthought character in Cars 2 development
    - Weird unattractive colours
    - Looks like a poor man's Francesco
    - No real car model as basis
    - Made up country (Rearendia???)
    - No lines in the film = no character
    - Brings up the rear during races

Even my little guy is completely indifferent to him (unique amongst the 100s of characters).

So what's the big deal then?

for those of us that mainly collect mattel cars, we want them all
    since cars 2 came out you have been able to get all the wgp racers by mattel in one form or another except rip
    they finaly released him in mass and all mattel collectors want one
    but they have put one per case, not 5 per case like mcqueen and francesco, so still not that easy to get
    there are plenty of charcters they have made that i really don't care about but must have to complete my collection
    i do collect some disney cars, but i'm fine not having all of them, unlike the mattel cars lol

Comment

My son wants him as he knows there are 11 racers and he only has 10 of them...

Other than that - no real reason other than my need "to have them all"...!!!

Comment

I agree with what carslover said... the World Grand Prix racers are what I consider to be my favorite assortment of Cars for Cars2... I want complete sets.

I do have a complete set of WGP racers with plastic tires - this includes the 5 Super Chase racers.
        I was able to get a Rip launcher from a friend - my collection of Cars 2 launchers is complete.
        Rip has not been released with rubber tires - my Cars2 rubber tire racer collection is not complete (it's 90.9% complete)
        Rip has not been released in the Kmart Silver Series - my Cars2 Silver Series collection is not complete (it's 90.9% complete)

I have 6 Metallic Finish Racers in the TRU series - it's 54.5% complete - I need Rip, Shu, Carla, Lewis, and Max.

Too many people still need Rip - 1 per case in 1 case that not every store or part of the country received means that too many people had to pay high prices to get one or they've still don't have Rip.

We want to collect them all!

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

to my mind both francesco and rip are poor cars that do not fit in with all the other cars in the cars universe - it makes no real sense to have eyes on a helmet when (virtually) ever other car has them on the windscreen

that said if i see rip on a shelf i will probably scream like a one direction fan and not be able to buy it quick enough

Comment

Originally posted by yuffie View Post
            to my mind both francesco and rip are poor cars that do not fit in with all the other cars in the cars universe - it makes no real sense to have eyes on a helmet when (virtually) ever other car has them on the windscreen

that said if i see rip on a shelf i will probably scream like a one direction fan and not be able to buy it quick enough
            I was extremely excited both times I saw 1 Rip on the pegs... I made sure to get the Car in my hands before I took a photo of it - sometimes I'll take pictures of Cars while they are still on the pegs... I was not about to take a chance with Rip.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
              I was extremely excited both times I saw 1 Rip on the pegs... I made sure to get the Car in my hands before I took a photo of it - sometimes I'll take pictures of Cars while they are still on the pegs... I was not about to take a chance with Rip.
              so far i have been able to find 16 rips on the peg
              all of my extras have been placed in good homes with other collectors though

Comment

Predicting the future...
                It will be widely available in future...
                More and more cases will start having Rip

Comment

Its the apple effect.... mattel never ever released this racer to the masses and then when cars 2 came with all the racers bar RIP, The collectors including myself thought it was going to happen again. Maybe the company do it to stir up more interest and keep the collectors in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Rip has been freely available as a DS 1:43 for ages

To collectors who only collect Mattel 1:55 Cars -- like myself -- this statement is akin to saying "Walmart sells socks". It's nowhere close to being a valid comparison.

If Finn McMissile had taken nearly two years to be released, he'd be just as hot as Rip is right now. I am by no means a race fan, let alone an open-wheeled race fan, but like yuffie said, whenever I find him at retail, I scream like a pre-teen girl.

Comment

Yes as a Mattel collector I've wanted Rip ever since I learned about him from this site (thanks). And now every time we watch movie read book or play game on iPhone Cleary says I don't have him but not only Rip. and my 2012 collection is incomplete cause I have Rip on the wrong card back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ru5ty View Post
                        Its the apple effect.... mattel never ever released this racer to the masses and then when cars 2 came with all the racers bar RIP, The collectors including myself thought it was going to happen again. Maybe the company do it to stir up more interest and keep the collectors in check.
                        Yeah, Apple effect...
                        At least it is coming again in Case H of 2013.. Isn't that a sign that it is becoming common?
                        Too bad I don't think it is keeping collectors in check. It is keeping all the scalpers in check...

Comment

So scarcity = desirability? It's just that simple, completist mentality? Nobody shares my apathy?

Originally posted by yuffie View Post
                          Ah, so at least you admit it even if just design-wise. But seriously, Francesco a poor character? C'mon, he's a major player and really well developed character, much more complicated than the cheating Chick. You want poor character? Lewis, zzzzz...
                          Last edited by GotFrank; 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM. Reason: Inappropriate content

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            So scarcity = desirability? It's just that simple, collector anal retentive completist mentality? Nobody shares my apathy?
                            Scarcity = Information...

Comment

I hate not finishing what I start. I decided to go ahead and collect all 11 WGP racers in the regular, silver, and metallic finishes. Tires don't really matter to me because I keep most of our Cars in a display case. So far I have all 11 in regular and silver, but only 5 of the 11 in metallic finish. The cars from this movieline have been out almost 2 years now. Is it going to be another 2-3 years before we get the rest of the metallics?

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                              http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Working...
                              X