Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do retailers feel they got burned? I don't see Planes mentioned in this week's ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do retailers feel they got burned? I don't see Planes mentioned in this week's ads

As many of you can remember, Cars 2 merchandise launched May 16, 2011 in the US... every store had huge displays... I thought I remembered seeing Cars 2 items featured in every retailer's Sunday ad in the Sunday before May 16... I saw huge displays set up a day or two ahead of time with tarps over the merchandise and workers sitting in chairs in front of the area to keep people from getting them early.

Now it's a little over 2 years later... Planes toys by Mattel go on sale Friday June 28... A few stores have put them out early but did not sell them to the customers (PCD members) who found them at Kmart or TRU... but I just got done checking the online versions store ads as I do every Sunday... No mention of Planes in Target, TRU, or Meijer ads... Kmart still had last week's ad up... and I didn't find a weekly ad at Walmart... I've not seen any store with an area for Planes anywhere so far.

Do retailers feel they got burned with the Cars 2 product launch? Is that why I don't see Planes mentioned in this week's ads?

We'd also mentioned Turbo in another post... I've seen Turbo merchandise at Target (I've only been to 1 in the last 3 weeks)... I've not seen it at any other stores... and jestrjef mentioned that he found Turbo merchandise at Marshall's the other day - Marshall's is part of the TJX (TJ Maxx in the US, TK Maxx in the UK) chain - they get overstocks and clearance merchandise... when toys merchandise for a new or upcoming movie goes straight to an overstock chain, that doesn't bode well for that product line.

What are your thoughts? Let us know what you see in the way of Planes displays and merchandise, and take pictures... let us know where you found the Planes display and merchandise (end cap, next to Cars, etc...).

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

I will say is marketing budget...
    Is either disney or mattel doesn't wish to spend...

Comment

Originally posted by wintermelon View Post
      I will say is marketing budget...
      Is either disney or mattel doesn't wish to spend...

NOT A CHANCE!!

Disney will spend a fortune on this movie's marketing!

With every release being a Deluxe, a Box Set, or a Playset, it will take a TON of marketing to get these things off the shelves.

June 28th is just the "soft launch" -- you'll see full-page ads by July 4th. With the movie opening in August, thete is no reason to rush things in June.

Comment

Is this thread just for the US and UK stores? In Australia Planes toys have been out on sale for a few days now at Kmart.
        There is no advertising that I have seen.

Comment

In my target cars space went from 3 rows to 1 with a blue background this past Friday. I think they are making room for planes merchandise

Comment

I have seen no indication of anything for Planes merchandise in Target, Walmart, KMart or TRU in my area. I imagine this will change when I go hunting next weekend, but nothing yet. I haven't seen the Turbo snails anywhere either, if that means anything...

Comment

i was in cribbs causeway disney store today and intially thought they didn't have any planes stuff, only to eventually find two sides of a small display near the middle of the shop - one side with about a dozen diecast 2-packs (£12.50), two different plastic sets like they do for all disney films and a two-pack box with smaller planes (i think diecast) the other side the usual over-priced tat like cups, pencil cases, etc

i guess the stock might increase and become more prominent nearer the film's release but considering it is already being trailered (i saw it before watching despicable me 2 yesterday) and it is new stuff you'd have thought it would have been pushed a bit more

Comment

I think a better gauge will be after the movie comes out to see if there's any interest in the line. Mattel thought Toy Story merchandise would be hot but that was a flop. They didn't expect Cars to take off but it did. If the movie gets good ratings and has a high gross you can bet that the kids are going to pressure mom and dad for the toys. What I do fear is that it may severely dampen the Cars line. Have already seen things softening this year both in terms of sales and the prices that the highest items used to command.

Comment

Working...
                X