The truth on scale of a few vehicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth on scale of a few vehicles

I keep my cars collection pretty lean, only purchasing the unmarked or accessorized vehicles. I collect mostly from the Mattel line for Cars and Cars 2. The collection I have is for my son to play with and I enjoy making sure things are scaled correctly and working on diorama for him.

Here are some vehicles I have felt were not 1:55 in scale, although Mattel markets them as such:
    1. Frank
    2. Tractors
    3. Fillmore
    4. Red
    5. Plastic Stanley Statue
    6. Al Oft
    7. Dinoco Helicopter
    8. All Mattel Planes in Cars series

Now my question is, do you think that the Disney Store (1:43) versions of any of the above, where available, look better with the other Mattel cars? Also, are there other cars you feel fall into this as well?

I am pretty convinced that the DS Red, Frank, and Tractors are more to 1:55 scale when placed alongside the other Mattel vehicles. I do know that takefiveaday did a post on Frank's scale even.
    Last edited by GotFrank; 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM.

I didn't think Mattel actually marketed Cars as 1:55. I've always thought we've all just called them that.

Comment

Perhaps that is the case, but either way I guess I just mean to say scaled more correctly. Not gonna debate semantics here really, just curious about the topic at hand.

Comment

Just read my response again, sorry if that sounded mean-spirited, I am only trying to stear the conversion towards the right topic here. I have zero angst towards you on what you brought up John (it is a valid thought for sure).

Comment

DS Combat Ship is oddly better scaled for Mattel Cars rather than the DS Cars it actually comes with!

As a DS collector and now specific Mattel cars also, the mix of the two means nothing stands out so I don't really care so much about scale. My son enjoys playing with both equally.

Comment

I always thought the worst car mistake in terms of scale was Erik Laneley - just looks ridiculous even in the case with those gigantic eyes. Fillmore I feel is fine.

Comment

Enzo, nice mention of the DS Combat Ship, I agree and plus the DS ship is simply better looking to me.

PopeMobile, I haven't seen a Erik Laneley in person, but sounds interesting and I could certainly see how the eyes could throw it off. Thanks for the opinion on Fillmore, I still feel a bit like a VW Bus should be a bit larger in size overall, but I haven't had a chance to take a comparison of the DS vs. Mattel in person.

Comment

Scaling issues are being discussed here as well: http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ght=retirement
                Also a bit of caution; Disney Store Cars have a reputation for breaking easily.

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                  Also a bit of caution; Disney Store Cars have a reputation for breaking easily.
                  I've read that before on T5 and really don't buy it. We've got lots of DS cars and they get some fairly rough play, racing, up and down the garage, ramp and in the lift, pile up "crashes" etc. The only real casualty was Max Schnell when his rear spoiler snapped off. And that was because I stood on it! Two carefully applied dots of superglue later and he was fine. Ah, ok one more, Moon Mater's tow assembly which is soft rubbery/plastic so towing Impala around all the time was bound d to lead to a trip to "Car Hospital". As toys, I wouldn't say they break any easily than others, far from it.

Comment

i think all the cars should be manufactured more according to the movie as far as scale it's concern, because many of the deluxes from one instance look utterly disproportionate.

Comment

I was seriously debating purchasing a DS Fillmore online to determine if it would scale better with the rest of the vehicles and then I started doing some detective work through Google Image search. As it turns out, it seems like Fillmore is quite in proportion. He might be just a tad too short, but he is pretty good. The vehicle that seems to be throwing the scale off for me is surprisingly (to me) Sarge. He is quite a bit too tall and long from what i can tell. I don't like his shape at all now that I see it. Here are a few images that make Sarge's size problem apparent when compared with the same Mattel diecast vehicles in the pictures:

Sorry for comparison shot graininess, took them with webcam since I didn't feel like using camera and having to pull photos off sd card afterwards.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice photos, nicholas.alipaz...I'd never realized that Sarge was too tall.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
                          Nice photos, nicholas.alipaz...I'd never realized that Sarge was too tall.
                          Me too! Thanks for that nicholas alipaz
                          My collection: http://www.jokibe.forumgratuit.lu/t2...cas-und-victor

Comment

there all pretty accurate but sarge
                            probably has to do with the manufacturing process of sarge on a smaller scale not working as well
                            that's my guess anyways

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
                              there all pretty accurate but sarge
                              probably has to do with the manufacturing process of sarge on a smaller scale not working as well
                              that's my guess anyways
                              I agree the rest are all pretty accurate. I only included them so that Sarge would have a reference point really, but it is nice to be able to compare them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X