My Speedway of the South Prototype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Speedway of the South Prototype

I picked this up recently from a person who worked at Mattel for a while as the head of design for a department that worked on the packaging for the Speedway. I am purposefully being vague on the details, this person is afraid of getting in trouble for selling it to me. They asked me to not share who they are unless I am selling, which my wife wants me to do so we'll see. I have done a decent amount of research to the point that i am 100% positive that this is the real deal and the person i got it from is the real deal. All of the cars in the set that were not yet out before the Speedway are sample cars, given to Mattel before production. They do not have a date stamp on them, and several have small defects, maybe part of the early problems I have read about here? Several of the clips that hold the cars on the track were broken. I spent the last 2 weeks getting my 3D printer at work to work with PLA which I normally do not use and was finally able to make decent replacements. The Apple car has a small chip on the left side of the spoiler, but it is under the clear coat so it must have happened at the factory. Vitoline is missing the front grill decal, and has some writing on the left window. Not sure what else to share right now, so ask questions. I can post more pictures if requested.
    hope you enjoy!
    2014-02-26 22.22.47.jpg
    2014-02-26 22.23.13.jpg
    2014-02-26 22.23.19.jpg
    2014-02-26 22.23.26.jpg
    2014-02-26 22.24.21.jpg

nice

I bet there were not many of those made

Comment

This person said only one at this stage, but i am guessing they would have different stages of each car, and everything else along the way. I was very lucky to get it!

Comment

Wow... what an incredible look back to the beginning of Cars! Many thanks for sharing your photos.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Very cool .. Great set to have

Comment

Pretty awesome.Just wanted to mention that Vitoline actually shouldn't have a grille decal so that's correct.

Ka-Chigga, Ka-Chow, and Ka-Ciao! - DjB

Comment

Originally posted by DjB View Post
              Pretty awesome.Just wanted to mention that Vitoline actually shouldn't have a grille decal so that's correct.
              Thank you for pointing that out. I guess I never noticed that. did any of the release get a grille decal for vitoline?

Comment

Every Vitoline I've ever seen has been clean shaven... no grill decal.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Working...
                X