Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember? What Cars single or boxed set got you hooked on collecting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had found RS McQueen, Mater, and a 3-pack of Doc, Sheriff, and Sally (all in the Supercharged series). Then, a few years later, I found Pit Row Launchers for Shiny Wax, Shifty Drug, Leak Less, and Retread Tire Deodorant at K-Mart. It's funny, I almost didn't buy the Retread Launcher because the packaging was a little dented up. Later that year (after I saw the preview for Cars 2), I bought Finn, Jeff, and Raoul in singles. I did end up getting them all again in 2-packs to get the exclusive vehicles. After that, the years 2011, 2012, and 2013 came around and you all know what happened then. Now 2014 is coming around the bend!

Comment

Great stories!

I only started last year when my son and I saw a lightning, chick and king singles but chose instead to get the target 7 pack with them, fibre fuel and 3 fans. My son and I loved playing with them and he wanted to recreate the piston cup.

A few months later, I got excited by the chase of getting 15 silver frostys with the intention of trading most of them for the other piston cup racers. We did that and are now collecting all of the characters!

Comment

Well I guess it was the first movie really back in 2006...I saw there were diecasts, so I started collecting.
        -Steve
        AKA Tmremote

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
          There are some great stories and pictures shared so far... I never knew about the movie and 4 Car set - I may have to look into that... And I remember the days when I could go into a store and find loads of new Cars like in your picture, djjd21... and a sale like a buy 1 get 1 free is always good news.
          I bought it at best buy in 2006, I think it may have been exclusive to them

I had no idea where it was going to take me or I would have bought more than the one that I opened for the movie as they had a lot of them lol

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
            I bought it at best buy in 2006, I think it may have been exclusive to them

I had no idea where it was going to take me or I would have bought more than the one that I opened for the movie as they had a lot of them lol
            You are correct, carslover - I checked eBay and have learned that it was indeed a Best Buy exclusive... $39.99... I may try to pick one up eventually.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by djjd21 View Post
              having been buying them since they begun but not really paying much attention,my wife purchased 4 cars(hooman,swift alternator,coriander widetrack and Derek decals dobbs) from a discount store,i found them as she was keeping them as a xmas gift so I went hunting for more,this was my first ever days haul,found in argos here in the uk and were on offer buy one get one free,this what hooked me

your wife finding Swift Alternator, Hooman and Coriander at a discount store sounds like a perfect dream for anyone haha
              "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

Bumping this back to the top - hoping that newer members who have joined in the last 2 years will offer comments, as well as those who missed this the first time around.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I've been collecting since Cars (the movie) came out so...the first 2 Cars I bought were Mater & McQueen, which I purchased at KB Toys.

Comment

I bought a Lightning McQueen and Mater back in 2006. Now I have like 200 cars.

Comment

My partner and I started with buying cars for a bribe for my son for toilet training (worked a treat by the way), we started with finding anything interesting and different such as Sarge with headset and some of the WGP racers. After about $100 and a few accidents later we both came home with a Chick Hicks from the 2015 collection and I said to myself, "self you're not taking this back to the store" so I didn't and I started there thinking buying one car a week should get me the set in no time, boy was I wrong. Anyway the rest is history and now we (my sons and I) have a collection of about 250 cars, still not really a drop in the Cars ocean but a lot closer than I was 8 months ago[emoji51][emoji1303].

Comment

Working...
                      X