Buying Cars and Planes in quantity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Cars and Planes in quantity

Just wanted to bring this topic up once again... there have been comments made in some of the Recent Finds topics criticizing people for buying multiples of a Car or Plane... please refrain from those kind of comments.

Distribution is hit and miss... long time collectors should know that... those of you new to collecting may not... From a collector standpoint, we wish we could go into any store and find what we need at retail price or on sale... that doesn't happen... My wife still doesn't understand that I will find different things at each of 4 Target, 4 Walmart, and 3 Toys R US - I "need" to check them all.

There have been many Cars over the years that I would not have in my collection if it were not for the help of collectors in other states and countries... my nearest Target and Toys R US stores are over 50 miles away - that makes it difficult for me when they have exclusives... and over the years I chose to pay extra based on prices in other countries, currency conversion, and shipping for Cars like El Materdor, the Gask-Its French Promo, and the UK Faux Wheel Drive promo... I picked up the 2012 Movie Moments (Miguel/Petro and Miles/Cleaning Pittys) 18 months ago at almost $20 each shipped to me... many US collectors did not... so when I learned they were coming out at TJ Maxx and Marshalls in the US, I traded for and bought every one I could find, helping out others... I left several Todd at Big Lots years ago - I'm not leaving Todd behind this time.

So if you see someone post a picture showing they purchased 8 Todd or 36 Chase Frosty or 36 Silver Frosty, please understand that it's more than likely someone helping out a lot of people on the site with items to be used for prizes in contests...

Many thanks... and good luck hunting... I appreciate everyone sharing with us - PCD is what we make it.

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Cac, I have a different prospective in that I'm collecting for my 3 year old boy and in the future for my 6 month old boy. I'm only looking for one most of the time and they will be opened and played with. I think sometimes collectors forget that that the main objective of these toys are to be played with by children. So as a father looking for these toys please maybe leave a few of these toys behind. So they can get in the hands of children that enjoy playing with these toys and keep the line going. Thanks for your time

Comment

They do. They forget that sometimes. But, at the same time, it has to be recognized that a good number of the people on the boards are getting multiples to help those moms and dads get those hard to get cars often at or below cost. You can ask the question what might happen if no one did that. I can answer it for you. Ebayers and collectors would gobble most of them up and then there would even be fewer available. It's annoying that shortly after new stock is put out all the new cars are gone. But, is that the collectors, or Mattel deciding to put just one new car in each case?

If this were about the parents and the kids, Im not sure these websites would even exist. Mattel would put out a good selection in high numbers per case and anyone that wanted a character would get it. Mattel thinks they sell more cars this way, by creating an arguably fake demand for product. Maybe they do, I don't know. I know that I had to stop taking my son with me hunting because the disappointment was too much as we would hit store after store that had put out a fresh case, each missing the only car we were looking for. But now I help local collectors and I used to try and help whoever on the boards needed something that I could get.

Just a few thoughts. I don't think there is any easy answer to the issue.

Comment

I see both sides of the argument. In my area there are 2 walmarts and 1 Tru within 15 minutes from me. Everything else is almost an hour away.

I never find anything new...none of my local stores have displayed any singles from 2014 yet and only a few deluxes and 2 packs from 2014. 90% of the cars I've bought for both my collection and my sons have been from ppl buying extras. Many thanks to cac1959 and Ferris and a few others on this site helping us out.

Transformers for Trade
        Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

My 3 year old son has hundreds of cars to play with. He has no idea when a new car is released that he doesn't have yet until I find one and bring it home.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris View Post
            My 3 year old son has hundreds of cars to play with. He has no idea when a new car is released that he doesn't have yet until I find one and bring it home.
            This. Not being able to find an obscure character only bothers collectors. My kid won't even know todd pizza truck exists unless i buy it for him. Now if lightning mcqueen was hard to find, it would be a different story.

I am also buying these for my kid and not to collect, but because I have a collector's mentality I am buying a lot more than a normal parent. If I can't find suki I don't sweat it.

I think a lot of the animosity comes from the fact that people assume that when someone buys multiples that it is for ebay. Understandable since there are people who try to make a living doing that and are buying for purely financial reasons, but like Cac mention, it can also be people helping each other out.

While these toys are for children, its obvious that the really obscure cars are aimed at collectors and mattel packs their cases with that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RRichie09 View Post
              This. Not being able to find an obscure character only bothers collectors. My kid won't even know todd pizza truck exists unless i buy it for him. Now if lightning mcqueen was hard to find, it would be a different story.

I am also buying these for my kid and not to collect, but because I have a collector's mentality I am buying a lot more than a normal parent. If I can't find suki I don't sweat it.
              I think a lot of the animosity comes from the fact that people assume that when someone buys multiples that it is for ebay. Understandable since there are people who try to make a living doing that and are buying for purely financial reasons, but like Cac mention, it can also be people helping each other out.

While these toys are for children, its obvious that the really obscure cars are aimed at collectors and mattel packs their cases with that in mind.
              That is definitely not my son. He knows all the characters and loves looking at all the different Cars websites. If you have pictures of your collection up on here or on CTT he probably has seen them. The more obscure characters are some of his favorites. He loves the Maserati, Fiat, and Ferrari. So it might be geared to the collectors however some kids still want them.

Comment

My son knows them all too and will point to cars that have a split-second of airtime and says he wants that one. When I tell him that stores don't sell it, he asks me to trade for one. Thankfully he doesn't know what a custom is yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CapitalregionNYcarsfan View Post
                  That is definitely not my son. He knows all the characters and loves looking at all the different Cars websites. If you have pictures of your collection up on here or on CTT he probably has seen them. The more obscure characters are some of his favorites. He loves the Maserati, Fiat, and Ferrari. So it might be geared to the collectors however some kids still want them.
                  Originally posted by Raginpage View Post
                  My son knows them all too and will point to cars that have a split-second of airtime and says he wants that one. When I tell him that stores don't sell it, he asks me to trade for one. Thankfully he doesn't know what a custom is yet.

Apparently I underestimated the knowledge of children today. My sons only 16 months old so I am apparently in for a shock haha. When I was a kid, you either saw it on TV or in a catalog that came with another toy. Also didn't have ebay so if you couldn't find it you were SOL. I even remember my grandmother calling Takara, trying to track down some Transformers.

So in closing, my foot is in my mouth and I don't know what I'm talking about so please disregard my previous statement. Haha

Comment

My son is a little over 2 years old. Every time we go to a store he always picks the same characters that he already has. I find myself trying to force him to buy a car that he doesn't have, or really want. That's when I realize, Im taking this too seriously and I buy whatever he wants, usually some yellow car (Jeff Gorvette and Miguel come to mind) and I'll buy the ones he doesn't have to give him later. It's win win...my collecting OCD is satisfied and hes happy.

As for buying extras, I havent done it for this hobby yet (left 3 Louis Larues last week) but I have when I collected concert posters. Friends I met through the boards would ask me to pick them up one. Sometimes Id walk out with 5-6 posters while some people got none. They all went to friends and none were flipped. Plus they would return the favor, if asked. I do understand the disappointment for the people that missed out though. I'd hate to leave empty handed. However, I think the difference here is that we mainly buy these for our children so it burns a little more. I can get over missing out on a poster for myself, but if my son can't get a Mama Bernoulli, when she comes out here, I'll be upset, even though he won't care lol. I honestly think it's great when people help each other out. We're the "true collectors" so if these cars can stay within in the community and off of ebay, thats great.

Ill be sure to grab extras for the board members going forward. If no one needs them, I'll return them and hope someone that truly wants them walks into the store as they are repegged.

Comment

It all comes down to the purpose of why buying multiples.

If to make monetary profit =dodgy.

If to sell for cost to someone that can't get it or trade for equal value to others=good.

I've been in the fortunate position where I've bought over 10 silver frostys and Taia decotura. All have/will go to other collectors and not for profit so that I can get cars I don't have.

I can not buy new 2 packs in my country and I've only been collecting a year so have years to catch up on.

Without trades and purchases at cost price (half aus price!) from board members, especially from rageingpage, there is no way that my list of "needed" cars would be below 100 as it is close to being.

Maybe offence has been caused by photos of multiples without explanation of where the cars were destined for? This explanation next to a photo of multiples may stop some getting offended?

Comment

The main point I want to stress from my lead comment in this thread:

There have been comments made in some of the Recent Finds topics criticizing people for buying multiples of a Car or Plane... please refrain from those kind of comments.

People buy extras... at one time I was buying 6 just for myself and my grandchildren... now I tend to buy 2 for myself, one to open, and one to keep carded... any others are for trades and or prizes... During the 2+ years I have owned PixarCarsDiecast.com, I have asked members to help out with donating prizes... Many PCD members have Super Chase Frosty, Silver Frosty, and the German Promo Mail in because of donations and efforts of overseas members... I was not going to be able to go to Australia to get either Frosty or to go to Germany to get the Metallic finish McQueen with Bumper Stickers.

I hopefully have 2 of the new Kimberly Rims/Carinne Cavvy coming... on international cardback from Europe... $20 each plus shipping is the cost to me... If that doesn't cause them to show up on a widespread basis in the US I don't know what will.

I ordered 3 Antonio Planes gift packs a couple weeks ago online from Mattel - to get free shipping... none of the 3 are for me... but they are part of packages I'm sending onto others, some of whom live in countries where they can't order online from Mattel (or other retailers).

I ordered 3 Ryker online from Amazon last week - to get free shipping... even then they were $12.85 each with sales tax... I checked Indianapolis Friday night and Dayton Sunday afternoon - no sign of Ryker... I see the same mistakes being made by retailers ordering too many of the first case of a new product line and then we can't find new Cars or Planes because stores are stuck with old stock.

You may not agree with someone purchasing multiples of something... but please refrain from making comments criticizing those who do.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I have so many extras stockpiled, I've stopped buying extras unless a collector requests me to do so. Each new year brings new collectors into the hobby and hopefully the stuff I've kept boxed up the past few years can go to a someone that needs them.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                          http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

I have to say in Scotland where i live, i get to see very few new cars - im guessing (prob NiftyNigel could confirm) that the bulk of cars that hit the UK land in London or the south, i have managed to collect with my son around about 500 cars, cars 2, toons, planes and fire and rescue. now some i have found in shops, some at car boot sales, some on gumtree or ebay but probably half or more have came via the help of some pretty brilliant collectors from this site - i definitely could not have done it without them so i for one wont complain about them picking up several of a new car to help others out. Perhaps people could be better served venting their anger at mattels distribution policy rather than some of the good guys who genuinely go out their way to help others.

Comment

Originally posted by RRichie09 View Post

You shouldn't hvae to apologize. Every kids is different and every collector is different. The reasons why these forums are created is not to only get information but to share amongst each other. As pointed out, a lot of people rely on the forums to get what they can't find or too lazy to hunt like the rest. I myself will buy multiples and will share the extras I don't need. I do sell from time to time to support this expensive hobby, but will also not post what I won't share....

Comment

Working...
                              X