Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do other people really find this hobby odd...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do other people really find this hobby odd...?

I was wondering. A few of the guys I work with think its very odd I like the Cars series so much to where I collect the toys. I'm 23 now. I was 13 when the movie came out in 2006. It's just a hobby of collecting. Sadly most of the cars I had picked up before 2013 I no longer have. But I have more now than I ever had. My wife got mad at me because I didn't tell her until we had been dating for 6 months about this. Like she would ask why I would take $20 out of the atm every 2 weeks and then I would just tell her it was for lunch, when in reality I don't eat lunch at work, and $20 isn't close to enough to eat for lunch. But my wife doesn't care. She was really only mad I didn't tell her about it because she felt like I was embarrassed to tell her, when in reality I figured she'd think it was childish. Do any of the people in your life find this odd? Opinions?

Good question and nice story, brownsfan1092... Those of us with friends who collect don't find it odd... however, many people do wonder.

Some have spouses/significant others who help them collect... my wife hasn't looked for Cars for me for years - she and my oldest son don't want to "enable" me... My youngest son has helped look for me on occasion.

If you get the chance to read the article I posted about the Kmart collector events:
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...thread.php?172

you will see I've referred to how my wife feels about it... I am a Cars-a-holic but she is a craft-a-holic.

I started collecting when my oldest grandson was 4... he outgrew Cars but I haven't... my youngest grandson is now almost 3 - he will play with Cars from time to time when he comes over to visit.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I wish I was super into it back in the early Cars days like I am now. I would have loved to get all 36 of the rubber tire racers especially through the events they had. Do they still have events in the future for anything like that? Not rubber tires but just the collectors type events? There's a Kmart near my home station army base. The article was a good read.

All I have is #8 Dale Jr, #28 Nitroade, #92 Sputter Stop, #93 Spare 'o Mint for rubber tire racers. And Raoul Çaroule. I hope to soon acquire #51 Idle Save, #58 Octain Gain (for my pit crew I just got, don't have any Octane Gain cars), #90 Bumper Save (for the pit crew I will somehow acquire), #117 Lil' Torquey Pistons, #121 Clutch Aid. (and 2 of my favorite cars). Wouldn't mind finding #43 Dinoco and #86 HTB. Don't really care for those 2 though.

I would love to see more pit crews from the first movie!! Still working on tracking down a Bumper Save crew I don't have to give up my first born son for.

My wife for the most part supports it. She doesn't care that I typically buy one to three cars a pay check (whether shopping around or on ebay/amazon). Usually less than $20. She understands I have my hobby and she realizes letting me have my thing keeps me happier. Because I don't limit her on anything. I wish she had a hobby though. She doesn't really enjoy anything enough to call it a hobby. She didn't want to do our sons baby book because she didn't have anything to put in it for sections like that.

Comment

I'd say it's cooler than stamp collecting... But that's just my opinion. My father-in-law worked for John Deere. And still collects diecast tractors. And he's in his early 70's. Our collection was featured in the local paper recently. And I've gotten several positive reactions from people I've run into since. It's not like I lay down on the living room floor and make "vroom vroom" sounds. I've been to four Toy Conventions in Las Vegas. And there's a whole lot of grown folk getting excited about toys.

As for my wife, she was hesitant at first. And partially the reason I didn't get a Motor Speedway of the South set when they came out. Now that I have all 36 racers. And some MSotS sets are having paint problems. I don't feel so bad about it. But she came around after the first year or so. She came to one K-day. Which as you asked sadly is no more. Low attendance overall and Kmart's lack of advertising killed it. I think they still do Hotwheels events. But they have a larger collectors base. K-day was great, twice a year guaranteed new Cars. With little hassle. But Kmart in general is in trouble. We are losing a third store in the area leaving just one. But they never have anything worth buying since K-day.

Some people collect bottle caps. At least Cars have wheels and character. No need to be ashamed of loving these "rolling works of art".

Comment

right, thats what I now collect "ROLLING WORKS OF ART"

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
            I'd say it's cooler than stamp collecting... But that's just my opinion. My father-in-law worked for John Deere. And still collects diecast tractors. And he's in his early 70's. Our collection was featured in the local paper recently. And I've gotten several positive reactions from people I've run into since. It's not like I lay down on the living room floor and make "vroom vroom" sounds. I've been to four Toy Conventions in Las Vegas. And there's a whole lot of grown folk getting excited about toys.

As for my wife, she was hesitant at first. And partially the reason I didn't get a Motor Speedway of the South set when they came out. Now that I have all 36 racers. And some MSotS sets are having paint problems. I don't feel so bad about it. But she came around after the first year or so. She came to one K-day. Which as you asked sadly is no more. Low attendance overall and Kmart's lack of advertising killed it. I think they still do Hotwheels events. But they have a larger collectors base. K-day was great, twice a year guaranteed new Cars. With little hassle. But Kmart in general is in trouble. We are losing a third store in the area leaving just one. But they never have anything worth buying since K-day.

Some people collect bottle caps. At least Cars have wheels and character. No need to be ashamed of loving these "rolling works of art".
            I wish we would have had a K-Mart where I lived in Indiana. I would have been at these events. haha. I wish I was older because I was still young when cars came out. The K-Mart where I am stationed in Killeen Texas (where I was at before being deployed) has a K-Mart. It's where I found Emmanuel (his mirrows were broken so I didn't buy him) and Trudy Trailway(tour buses are some of my favorites). As far as I know that one isn't getting closed. It's always super busy.

I found out recently that after opening Mark Wheelsen, he's an error car. His driver side front tire doesn't say Road Hug. That was exciting.

Something I have always liked about the cars is it's like a 2 for 1. It' a diecast car, but at the same time, it's technically an action figure. lol.

I'm glad to see as a grown man, I'm not alone in my love of cars collecting. Because at the end of the day, I don't see why anyone cares what I collect. It's MY collection. Thankfully my wife has come around and supports me in it. She is happy to see I have a hobby I enjoy. My stepson loved cars but he's starting to care less about the toys. He's wanting more to play with bigger trucks and stuff. That's okay though. More cars for me. And my newborn.

Comment

some people i know find it funny and really dont understand this at all, i tell them there are people 40-60 years old that buy these cars. my best friend thinks i buy them for myself but i really dont buy them at all for myself, its all for my boy, no matter how old he is. im his manager on these things. other people have some crazy hobbys imo. there are other hobbys i wont go into so a as gotfrank puts it, these are rolling work of art. good one josh.
              Last edited by musicnywu1; 04-24-2016, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by musicnywu1 View Post
                some people i know find it funny and really dont understand this at all, i tell them there are people 40-60 years old that buy these cars. my best friend thinks i buy them for myself but i really dont buy them at all for myself, its all for my boy, no matter how old he is. im his manager on these things. other people have some crazy hobbys imo. there are other hobbys i wont go into so a as gotfrank puts it, these are rolling work of art. good one josh.
                I mostly collect them for myself now. My stepson has lost his interest in the series. My son is too small to know what it is.

Comment

Working...
                X