Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Britain & Northern Ireland Finds (Part 1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loved your last sentence !

Comment

• I kinda agree there Nigel, it would be boring if there was no "Hunt" but even you know how frustrating it can be this side of the pond, and you live in London where you have a far greater density of options, such as more DS stores, Toymasters as well as a fairly large glut of supermarket chains within a decent distance.

Compare that with the likes of myself or Junior (cant speak for the likes of Yuffie, Enzo or Boogity) who live reasonably rural and its a 15 mile journey for the only DS store within 100 miles or so, no toymasters whatsoever in the country and the "supermarkets" have only the odd "Super" store that carry toys, case in point is Morrisons, the only store I know of (and theres at least 5 within a 50 mile radius) that stocks toys is in Cardiff Bay, which is a PITA to get to.

So whilst I get that its fun to see whats in stores, if we were more clued into what was happening with the distribution etc, it would be a little less pressured to get to a store on a certain day in the hopes that theyve had a new delivery, only to turn out to be a 2 year old one, stocked to the brim with the usual pegwarmers. If it wasnt for your info and updates, I certainly would not be in possession of a fair few of the 2013 cars!

Now, lets not even get to the price points, where our transatlantic collectors can clear the store's stocks for 20 quid on the $1 per car deals and cheap deluxes.

Comment

• Thing is Nigel, you're talking about the past. And given Cars' future in terms of toys is debatable, I wouldn't say that is any indicator. I agree about the hunt, but it gets to a point where you start to feel like a salmon fisherman sitting by the banks of the Manchester ship canal.

Bombom raises a good point. It's fine being able to stroll up Oxford St knowing full well that they get first dibs on any new stock and even then, plenty of it. Which is how you first bagged Snot Rod, Maurice and Brent. Thankfully I got the latter 2 purely by luck as was nearby the only DS for 100 miles that same day, but had I dropped in a few hours later (as Vandance did), I'd have missed them completely. They've had nothing but Finns and Maters since.

You also found the Toymaster motherlode, and Lozzie went round the SE and hoovered up the majority. There's not even a sniff of new deliveries (which may not be new cases anyway) in the few stores in these parts (and we're not exactly rural!) until September at the very earliest.

So it's not a case of "all of us in the same boat" is it, really?

Comment

• And one last thing, the odd car you miss or never see is no big deal, but when it's the last two of a set of four (Tunerz) it's a slightly different matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Thing is Nigel, you're talking about the past. And given Cars' future in terms of toys is debatable, I wouldn't say that is any indicator. I agree about the hunt, but it gets to a point where you start to feel like a salmon fisherman sitting by the banks of the Manchester ship canal.

Bombom raises a good point. It's fine being able to stroll up Oxford St knowing full well that they get first dibs on any new stock and even then, plenty of it. Which is how you first bagged Snot Rod, Maurice and Brent. Thankfully I got the latter 2 purely by luck as was nearby the only DS for 100 miles that same day, but had I dropped in a few hours later (as Vandance did), I'd have missed them completely. They've had nothing but Finns and Maters since.

You also found the Toymaster motherlode, and Lozzie went round the SE and hoovered up the majority. There's not even a sniff of new deliveries (which may not be new cases anyway) in the few stores in these parts (and we're not exactly rural!) until September at the very earliest.

So it's not a case of "all of us in the same boat" is it, really?
            I may well have a fairly large range of stores in my area, but with the journey times and public transport fares in my area, it can take a whole day to do just 100 miles on the supermarket circuit and still come back with nothing, most days!

My nearest TRU is about ten miles away. That can take a hour to get there or 20 minutes on the train and a long walk! My nearest Tesco Extra is about five miles away and that regularly takes 30 minutes to get there! Get my point?

The grass isn't all greener on the other side ...

I have to confess I have had an incredible run of getting all the 2013 cars released in the UK so far. It wasn't like that for Cars 2 where I had to get some on eBay and rely on one or two members from mainline Europe to help me out.

But considering the hours I spend on research and 'working' on Mattel, the supermarkets and other outlets for the benefit for all on this forum (and others), I think I deserve a little break here and there.

It just so happens it's Toymasters turn to get an exclusive case. Tesco, Sainsburys, Smyths, Argos (laughs at that one) have all had first to market cases, so it's part of the grand plan that Toymaster, who had only skeletal stocks beforehand have their chance to be in the limelight.

Lots of stores also equates to lots of collectors, all vying for the same stuff. Maybe there is a lot of luck and good timing involved, but there's also a lot of hard work in finding out when new stock is coming in. I've only seen one 997P case in store (Tesco's) and that's because I was prepared to be out at delivery time in the small hours! If I hadn't done that, I may never have seen a Rip Clutchgoneski in store? For all the stores I have in my area, that was the one and only Rip out there in a store that I've found! I've only ever seen three Miles/hood in that's case's run. All the store runs I do, that's not many!

P.S. We have five months to Christmas including the time when sales are up. What do you think they will fill shelves with? Stores are going to filling shelves like crazy in the months to come. Todays Mark Wheelsen or Boost is going to be yesterdays Suki or Galloping Geargrinder. You'll soon be complaining that there are too many Marks or Boosts on clipstrips come December and January!
            Last edited by niftynigel; 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Nigel, I'm all too aware of the snails pace travel time and the fact that London streets aren't paved with Cars gold - I'm based in the City for work which unfortunately means I never have any time or opportunity to get to anywhere when in town.

I certainly don't begrudge you of all people your fantastic haul, no-one deserves good Cars-ma more for your info. I just don't think you appreciate or have forgotten the frustration a little, and all the "patience, there's 1000s coming through" posts are all a wee bit Chemical Ali

You know more than most that Mattel UK are a disaster hidden inside a calamity wrapped up in a farce, so I don't know where this faith (or blind optimism) comes from. I feel a bit like John Cleese in Clockwise "it's not the despair, I can take the despair...it's the hope I can't stand".

Comment

• Originally posted by daul_p View Post
                Apologies MB, I did see the Maurice case in Sainsbury's taplow last Sunday and didn't get chance to post. I grabbed a Mama T and Victor H but left the rest for others to snap up. Just been in again today and all are gone, just a Francesco and Finn on old card backs left so that was hoovered up pretty fast.
                That's great news at least it means there are some stores in the area with new stock, great finds at £2.49 a pop. I love that store, its a little gem. FYI Staines Sainsbury's is also a store that sells them for £2.49, saw the ticket a few weeks back. Good hunting...

Comment

• I see your argument Enzo and I also don't have any toymasters in my local area either (closest is Winchester and Chichester which are both 30 min drives to and I know from previous experience these struggle/dont bother with car stock) my local disney store is a 30 min drive to aswell. Many a time I have walked around southampton and only seen McQueen of Finn or francesco in all stores visited. It happens to everyone! This is one of the reasons I wanted to visit more far away stores, to find new shops with new stock!

I did want these cars for myself and I certainly didnt Hoover up the south east of these cars! I think if you looked at the toymaster map for the stores I visited (who are definitely ordering more! And are happy to help!) you would struggle to pick them out of the sea of red dots. With 4 toymasters in a 10 mile radius. I certainly don't feel I have ridded the area of these cars as 2 other stores in the area said they were working their delivery. Just sharing this information if I really have triggered off this rant/argument.

If I pass another store in the next weeks or so and I see more I for one would be happy to help out other people who can't find these cars for cost or trade! I enjoy just the finding of new cars! But also happy to leave them as I have them for others in the area!

Unfortunately Mattel can't inform us of where the new boxes have landed so we have to search to find or be dedicated if like me I wanted these for myself and 4 friends. My haul above is for real pcd collector friends so the best type of buy - each new car is going to someone who I know will truly love them and add to their collection. Sorry I couldn't help everyone but I think that would have annoyed more people anyway!
                  Last edited by Lozzi31; 08-02-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• The wife just called me from Sainsbury's in Maidenhead and I asked her while she's there to check the toy section.......Not much there just an Alex Vandel and a couple of Guido & Luigi's, so must be remains of W1938-997J. Mattel dumping their junk on their doorstep I wonder? Anyway we already have Alex and he wasn't half price so she didn't buy him.

Comment

• Originally posted by daul_p View Post
                      The wife just called me from Sainsbury's in Maidenhead and I asked her while she's there to check the toy section.......Not much there just an Alex Vandel and a couple of Guido & Luigi's, so must be remains of W1938-997J. Mattel dumping their junk on their doorstep I wonder? Anyway we already have Alex and he wasn't half price so she didn't buy him.
                      That could mean anything. Sainsburys have 14 distribution centres. It wouldn't be a total surprise if they find the odd old case in their warehouses every now and then. It's when that case ends up everywhere, we need to get concerned. If it is a fresh case, the fact that there were only a handful of cars left, that would prove they sell well. That's justification for further stock replenishment!

Mattel's HQ is at Maidenhead, but their main warehouse / distribution centre isn't there. It's not a million miles away. Stocks are usually imported by container ship into Southampton Docks, so you can imagine that the warehouse / distribution centre has to be handy for both HQ and Southampton and ideally the motorway network. I'm not sure they use the rail network for distribution, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did!

Comment

• Let's keep on track with recent finds guys....

Comment

• Found remnants of a case in Sainsburys today. Grabbed the 2 Maurice Wheelks left. One bad card but fine for my opener.

Comment

• My first post, but hopefully of use to someone. Passed through Marlow this afternoon, and thanks to the Toymaster (known as Marlow toys) struck gold with the finds of Snotrod (with flames), Boost with (flames), RPM, Luigi&Guido with glasses, Donna Pitts and Mark Wheelsen. There was at least one other of each left in the store with the exception of Snot Rod. The only downside they are priced at £5.99

Comment

• Originally posted by foxrfc View Post
                              My first post, but hopefully of use to someone. Passed through Marlow this afternoon, and thanks to the Toymaster (known as Marlow toys) struck gold with the finds of Snotrod (with flames), Boost with (flames), RPM, Luigi&Guido with glasses, Donna Pitts and Mark Wheelsen. There was at least one other of each left in the store with the exception of Snot Rod. The only downside they are priced at £5.99
                              Nice finds there. Nice first post too

Comment

• Originally posted by foxrfc View Post
                                My first post, but hopefully of use to someone. Passed through Marlow this afternoon, and thanks to the Toymaster (known as Marlow toys) struck gold with the finds of Snotrod (with flames), Boost with (flames), RPM, Luigi&Guido with glasses, Donna Pitts and Mark Wheelsen. There was at least one other of each left in the store with the exception of Snot Rod. The only downside they are priced at £5.99
                                nice finds
                                those are just now starting to find their way to the US

Comment

Working...
                                X