Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancother PCD "Rookie" checking in!

Hello everyone!

I'm the father of a Cars-loving 4 year-old boy who shows clear signs of being a "completist".

I've been collecting small-scale (1:64-ish) diecast for myself for nearly two decades, so I have a fair amount of experience with the skills we build to find what we need. That includes establishing strong relationships with other collectors to foster goodwill and help each other find what we would like to have. I've used this same handle on other diecast websites for many years, including the MCCH and Swifty's Garage.

I had my first contact with Cars at the 2006 New York American International Toy Fair. I was invited to tour Mattel's showroom, where very enthusiastic employees showed me the first Pixar Cars Diecast well before they went on sale and before the movie was released. I was very impressed, and shared my opinion that these would likely be a huge hit. I unfortunately did not, however, start to collect them when they went on sale several months later.

My personal collection is filled with realistic vehicles from various brands. These new Cars models did not fit my collection, and since this was years before I had a child, I only admired them from a distance. Then my son came along. Once he was old enough, we got him the Cars DVD, and he loved it! (OK, I'll admit it, we enjoyed it, too.) Next was Cars 2, which we also enjoyed very much (despite some of the more violent scenes, which we were not entirely comfortable with considering the age of the target audience.)

The Cars 2 models were at retail at the time, so they were the easiest to kick off our son's collection with. The original Cars movie models were harder to come by until the re-issues started flowing over the past year or so. I was able to pick up a few older models at reasonable prices on diecast websites as they popped up in the sale forums.

Our challenge now is gathering up those Cars models from the first movie that are hard to come by (including several racers that were once clogging the pegs for months) at reasonable prices.

It's been great to find this community, and all the knowledge and experience the collectors bring to this forum.

-- Lane1through75

welcome to PCD
    there's a lot of good people and info here

Comment

Welcome to PCD! Enjoy digging around. If you need any help, just ask!

Comment

Welcome to the site.
        Be sure to add a wanted list as we will all be happy to help where we can

Comment

Welcome!
          RBCars77 check out my YouTube Channel @ RCcars5

Comment

Welcome, I have only been here a little while but these guys have really helped me out

Comment

Welcome!!

Comment

Welcome as well.
                May the Fortune of the Hunt Be With You Jeff/PixarCarsDiecast.com

Comment

welcome!
                  My collection: http://www.jokibe.forumgratuit.lu/t2...cas-und-victor

Comment

Welcome to PCD...

Comment

Welcome
                      Enjoy...

Comment

Welcome to PCD... Glad to have you with us... Great introduction - many of us would have enjoyed seeing what you saw at Toy Fair... From eastern Indiana... Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by Lane1through75 View Post
                          Then my son came along. Once he was old enough, we got him the Cars DVD, and he loved it! (OK, I'll admit it, we enjoyed it, too.) Next was Cars 2, which we also enjoyed very much (despite some of the more violent scenes, which we were not entirely comfortable with considering the age of the target audience.)

The Cars 2 models were at retail at the time, so they were the easiest to kick off our son's collection with. The original Cars movie models were harder to come by until the re-issues started flowing over the past year or so. I was able to pick up a few older models at reasonable prices on diecast websites as they popped up in the sale forums.

Our challenge now is gathering up those Cars models from the first movie that are hard to come by (including several racers that were once clogging the pegs for months) at reasonable prices.
                          Sounds very much like my story, except substitute daughter for son. Welcome!

Comment

Welcome, glad to have you here

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X