Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Britain & Northern Ireland Finds (Part 1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yuffie View Post
    isn't the pitty band a double pack so is very unlikely to ever make it to the uk?
    A four-pack, and yes apparently we're getting no movie moments or other deluxe packs. Just hoping to pick up on travels in Europe later in year. Anything to avoid being willingly gouged on eBay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Seems to be the case in every DS.

This "exclusive" appears to have burnt out very quickly. I was lucky to grab Brent and Maurice, a couple of others grabbed Snot Rod at Oxford St (no other sightings) but looks like that's that sadly. I really hope not but not looking good.

On the plus side, maybe we'll finally start to see these 2 new cases (including the next case already seen in Asia with Boost/flames, Mark Wheelsen and at last the PITTY BAND!!!) soon in other retailers.
      You need to be a little bit patient!

There are at least 500 (probably 250 of each) of these Disney Store exclusive cases. There are only 50 Disney Stores now, so these cases are going to be around for some time to come. All stores get a delivery at least once a week, so it maybe a case (no pun intended) of being in the right place at the right time? It's good to see Disney Stores back on board. It's possible that DS may order another 500 cases if the demand is there.

Mattel certainly wouldn't release them to other retailers if that happened.

It's clear that Mattel works with the retailers and issues cases on a sort of rotational basis, so the major players are all getting something exclusive, even if maybe just for a couple of weeks. I think only the 997U case made it to nearly all the major retailers.

Because the major sellers of Cars singles, the supermarkets have overdosed on the Cars 2 996Y case and clipstrips, I don't see them getting new singles for some time to come. I have a sneaking feeling that they may miss the 997W and 997Y cases out altogether. By the time their shelves are clear, it'll be time for the next waves of cases in cases 998J(?) onwards.

Although the Deluxe and Double-packs aren't being released in the UK, I suspect that some will make it to UK stores either in time for Christmas or the post-Christmas sale time / 2014; the rest of the worlds overstocks. This means the UK won't get anything near the full set of releases.

Comment

• Originally posted by niftynigel View Post
        You need to be a little bit patient!

Although the Deluxe and Double-packs aren't being released in the UK, I suspect that some will make it to UK stores either in time for Christmas or the post-Christmas sale time / 2014; the rest of the worlds overstocks. This means the UK won't get anything near the full set of releases.
        Yeah I know but not my strongest point sometimes. And it's a pain when 2 of your local 3 DS just closed overnight, with the remaining one a smaller outlet that admits getting only a selection of stuff compared with bigger stores.

Same goes for the Pitty band, you know the distribution game infinitely better than me but am I going to wait in the hope we'll get overstock somewhere down the line? Not a chance.

Comment

• yuffie, the pitties will show up in the uk,
          they will be in the likes of home bargains in about a years time!
          thats also where we will all find rip too

whilst on a rant, lasseter/mattel/disney should be ashamed of themselves over the availability of rip,
          little kiddies all over the place are being sold short on this and its not on
          I blame lasseter myself as he would have the clout to do something about it, but clearly he hasnt bothered his sweet little route 66 haiwian shirt about it, shame on you sir, and as for your namesake truck you can shove it where the sun dont shine....... rant over
          Originally posted by yuffie View Post
          isn't the pitty band a double pack so is very unlikely to ever make it to the uk?

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Yeah I know but not my strongest point sometimes. And it's a pain when 2 of your local 3 DS just closed overnight, with the remaining one a smaller outlet that admits getting only a selection of stuff compared with bigger stores.

Same goes for the Pitty band, you know the distribution game infinitely better than me but am I going to wait in the hope we'll get overstock somewhere down the line? Not a chance.
            To be fair, much of Mattel's distribution is predictable and maybe even common sense and doesn't take too much working out. Mattel, like everyone else, is competing for your hard earned money. In challenging economic times, you can imagine that it's going to be difficult to accurately predict what the demand is going to be like.

That said, there is no excuse for the massive over production of Mater/Zen Master Pitty and lousy Cars 2 case assortments and up to five Finns and five McQueens in one case! These problems have contributed to where we are now. Store's unable to shift early Cars 2 cases at the end of 2011 and into 2012, but later cases back and lead to eventual cancelling of the final Cars 2 cases. This lead to the significant delay of Cars 2013 into the UK. This was partly caused by Mattel UK (conspired with Mattel US and Europe) dumping their excess stock on the UK, as they knew that was one market where this old stuff would sell. OK, that got Mattel (Corporate) out of a self-inflicted mess, but it was a kick in the teeth for the UK collector, whether they be completists, regulars or casuals.

The added problem for card collectors is that many of us would like them from the same series, i.e. US, European or other International cards! The 2013 Deluxe and Doubles will probably turn up in the UK, eventually, but which ones?

The lottery starts ...

Comment

• I WANT TO SEE FRANCESCO FAN MATER HERE IN THE UK! Come on Mattel!! Among others but I love him!

Comment

• Sadly Nigel I'm not waiting for cars that may or may not arrive in the UK. You only end up paying over the odds
                I get most of my deluxe and 2 packs from other countries whether it be Europe or the US i just haven't got the time to wait for Mattel UK to decide a year later they should be dumped in the likes of tkmaxx
                Even singles have come from hong Kong before just because I had a feeling they wouldn't be released. How right was I.

Comment

• Well I couldn't resist checking DS on Oxford St today, what a difference a week makes. Plenty of silver racers and a ton of Francescos but nothing else. Back to square one for now.

Comment

• Saw the showcase at SDCC and I must say there is not that much to still come out that they are thinking about releasing. If you are a new collector then its fine but if you have been collecting for a few years there is not much in the way of new cars to keep it interesting!
                    Last edited by madbob; 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by daul_p View Post
                      Well I couldn't resist checking DS on Oxford St today, what a difference a week makes. Plenty of silver racers and a ton of Francescos but nothing else. Back to square one for now.
                      When I was looking through the ever reducing Cars section for new releases, it was the staff who approached me first. The asked if there were any particular cars I was looking for and I gave them a few names. They said that due to space restrictions, they couldn't put all the stock out. One of the staff went into the storeroom and brought out a selection of what they had. I got all the new cars except Victor Paveone as that was the only one they had sold out of. I did find him a few days later at another store.

From my experience, if they staff don't offer to look, it's worth seeking out the store manager and asking if they have any stuff out the back. They used to put everything out, but as the Cars section is now very small and indeed the Mattel standard singles section is probably less than 100 cars now, there isn't enough room if they have had a significant delivery. The Mattel standard singles section used to be over 500 when in the front of the store!

Understandably, they want to keep the old stock on display as it will never sell whilst in the storeroom. There were a handful of newer cars in the display on both my recent visits.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarknotaMack View Post
                        Sadly Nigel I'm not waiting for cars that may or may not arrive in the UK. You only end up paying over the odds
                        I get most of my deluxe and 2 packs from other countries whether it be Europe or the US i just haven't got the time to wait for Mattel UK to decide a year later they should be dumped in the likes of tkmaxx
                        Even singles have come from hong Kong before just because I had a feeling they wouldn't be released. How right was I.
                        The original plan was to release the full collection of 101 singles, doubles and deluxe. The late start coupled with loads of unsaleable overstocks from abroad, put paid to that!

We were waiting for the deluxe and doubles to be released in the UK, but as soon as Mattel UK confirmed they had at least been delayed indefinitely, that was the cue for plan B, get them from the US. We did consider Europe, but they are too expensive over there, so I'm surprised you've got them from there. Even the UK is cheaper than Europe, in spite of a weak GB Pound.

Comment

• Originally posted by niftynigel View Post
                          When I was looking through the ever reducing Cars section for new releases, it was the staff who approached me first. The asked if there were any particular cars I was looking for and I gave them a few names. They said that due to space restrictions, they couldn't put all the stock out. One of the staff went into the storeroom and brought out a selection of what they had. I got all the new cars except Victor Paveone as that was the only one they had sold out of. I did find him a few days later at another store.

From my experience, if they staff don't offer to look, it's worth seeking out the store manager and asking if they have any stuff out the back. They used to put everything out, but as the Cars section is now very small and indeed the Mattel standard singles section is probably less than 100 cars now, there isn't enough room if they have had a significant delivery. The Mattel standard singles section used to be over 500 when in the front of the store!

Understandably, they want to keep the old stock on display as it will never sell whilst in the storeroom. There were a handful of newer cars in the display on both my recent visits.
                          Thanks Nigel, I'll bear that in mind as i'll be passing by there again next week or may try to pop into the Westfield branch.

Comment

• At a day out in Glasgow I went to the Disney store, the manager there said they have not had any new cars in months, and she wasn't expecting any in the near future. On a brighter note, I went to Tesco and they were bringing out pallets of stock and I spied a box of planes singles, I opened it up and got Ishani, Leadbottom and Skipper, when I took the to the tills the items were not recognised on the system, the woman in charge of the checkouts looked at them and says does £4.97 seem a fair price sir - yes that sounds about right! lol - nice to get one over on the big guys now and again lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Junior View Post
                              At a day out in Glasgow I went to the Disney store, the manager there said they have not had any new cars in months, and she wasn't expecting any in the near future. On a brighter note, I went to Tesco and they were bringing out pallets of stock and I spied a box of planes singles, I opened it up and got Ishani, Leadbottom and Skipper, when I took the to the tills the items were not recognised on the system, the woman in charge of the checkouts looked at them and says does £4.97 seem a fair price sir - yes that sounds about right! lol - nice to get one over on the big guys now and again lol.
                              Great pick ups Junior!!

Comment

• Junior,
                                How many Planes were in the case? My Tesco had a case with only 5 inside unlike the TRU cases with 12 inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X