Planes Reviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planes Reviews

So I thought I would see how it is doing today, I don't plan to see the movie until next weekend since we are going with another family who is out of town this weekend. Doesn't look like the movie is doing so hot on Rotten Tomatoes. The overall descriptor for the movie that I am seeing is "vanilla".

Have any of you seen it? What did you think?

Saw Planes Friday night with my wife and grandchildren... We all liked it... my grandchildren liked it better than I did.

I rate
    1. Cars
    2. Cars2
    3. Planes.

I won't see it in the theater again... but it will definitely be on my birthday and Christmas list for 2013 assuming it comes out before Christmas.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

We just got back from the theater. It was entertaining, but certainly not in the same League as the original "Cars". While they claim "from the world above Cars", there was absolutely no transition from world to another. Perhaps if Pixar had made "Planes", we could have seen Mater drive from Radiator Springs to Propwash Junction to get the movie going.

Here are my rating based on 5 Stars:

"Cars" -- 5 Stars
      "Cars 2" -- 3 Stars
      "Planes" -- 2 Stars

Comment

Originally posted by John in Missouri View Post
        We just got back from the theater. It was entertaining, but certainly not in the same League as the original "Cars". While they claim "from the world above Cars", there was absolutely no transition from world to another. Perhaps if Pixar had made "Planes", we could have seen Mater drive from Radiator Springs to Propwash Junction to get the movie going.

Here are my rating based on 5 Stars:

"Cars" -- 5 Stars
        "Cars 2" -- 3 Stars
        "Planes" -- 2 Stars
        sounds like i'll wait for the planes video to come out

Comment

Just took my wife and 2 young sons to the 3-D version matinee today (8/11). We arrived a little early thinking it would be swamped with kids and families on opening weekend. To our surprise we were the only ones in the theatre along with 5 other people. So 9 people total for the showing - and it's a nice theatre too. My kids liked it but did not love it. Personally I thought it was so-so and didn't feel the bonding to the characters that I had in cars. In Planes I really didn't care about the major character Dusty. Also, Pixar kinda did a parallel to the story of Cars. In planes you had Skipper assuming the role of Doc Hudson - and like Doc, the Skipper also has a backstory. The role of Mater was played by a fuel truck. Dusty was the new McQueen - trying to win a race. Ripslinger had the role of Chick Hicks. The 3-D was nice but overall this is not a movie I would care to see again. I give it 2 stars.

Comment

Originally posted by PopeMobile View Post
            Pixar kinda did a parallel to the story of Cars.

"Planes" is NOT a Pixar movie. It's just Disney this time.

Comment

I have yet to see the movie, but just sounds like you can't beat the original love of "Cars"
              "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

I'm at the beach right now and just waiting for a rainy day to take the kids to see Planes. I brought a Dusty, Skipper, Ripslinger, Ishani, El Chupacabra, and Bravo diecasts down here for them to play with.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Yeah with Cars there are so many more characters. The Planes movie understandably was limited to how many characters they could make. Maybe 30 planes in the whole movie is what I saw.

And I still love Cars 2. Yeah Mater is annoying and I would have liked McQueen to be the main character again but aside from that I really liked the story and thought it was a great movie. Ultimately the fate of Planes will come down to the bottom line - we'll see how revenues for the movie are but if it's what I saw yesterday (empty theatre) that is not a good sign.

Comment

I agree with CAC1959's assessment. The movie was enjoyable, and my nephews loved it.

In most other Pixar or Disney animated movies, the movie simultaneously appeals to young children and adults. In Planes, it seems like the substitued technical aviation accuracy for adult appeal. This is a shame, as I was really excited to see the aviation history and technology represented so accurately.

I'm not sorry I saw it, but I'm a little sad that it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.

Comment

I agree with Popemobile's post above. In that the story line was Cars(1) formulaic and lacked originality. Also with two gratuitous "love story" arcs. (Probably because someone in research thought it'd get the girls into it.) But on the plus side, no Dane Cook "jokes" and the Skipper's back story was interesting to me. They should have spent more time with Dusty joining the Navy instead of multiple races IMO. Also I wish they had used Rob Zombie's More Human Than Human in the soundtrack. As I thought the music in the film was lacking. PIXAR did the same thing with Cars, the original teaser featured the song Westbound Sign by Green Day. Not that the soundtrack for Cars was bad. Just got excited to hear the song in the film. but then didn't.

Edit: interesting that they re-voiced the Planes teaser with Dane Cook. Replacing the old one with John Cryer.
                      Last edited by GotFrank; 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

When's Cars 3 coming out

Comment

if you boys are saying its worse than cars 2 , it must be bad, however I will see for myself on aug 16th, still quite looking forward to it

another movie coming out soon is ron howards F1 film, based on the 1976 season, hunt v lauda, was at brands hatch that July day.....

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                            if you boys are saying its worse than cars 2 , it must be bad, however I will see for myself on aug 16th, still quite looking forward to it

another movie coming out soon is ron howards F1 film, based on the 1976 season, hunt v lauda, was at brands hatch that July day.....
                            they played a clip of F1 on top gear when ron howard was the guest and it looked like it is going to be a very good movie
                            I might see F1 in the theater, planes will be a video see for me

Comment

I'm going to see Planes on Friday. I already have collected the majority of the diecasts and the movie sounds really good to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X