The K.I.N.G. RV Convoy Brothers Are For Real! And $100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bombom77 View Post
    This is the oxymoron of collecting cars IMO! Personally I collect for my son to play with them. Would I like to have these in the collection, sure, but the box would be ripped open and they would be well played with. At those prices, Mattel can kiss my shiny white a$$.

I'm all in with Enzo on this one. This is purely an exercise in milking the collectors out of more money which is uber ironic as since when has Mattel cared about giving the collectors what they want? They arent worth $10 singularly, never mind the extortion of $100 and yes, they may well be fetching that price by Christmas and later on but so what? Does that mean you should go and buy 20 just so you can turn a profit in 12 months time? I know some folk are helping others out but others are purely looking to line their own pockets at other collectors expense and, quite frankly, it sickens me.

Sad thing is, if every collector only bought one of these, there would likely be a fair few left for everyone at RRP and it may even force the price down in future as the demand isnt as great as Mattel thought. Some people getting 6 then going back in line for more.......bonkers!

For what its worth, I wont regret having them in the collection, as much as I would like to. Ive managed without Bessie, Frank etc, so this is one more that wont be joining anytime soon.
    one of the best posts i've ever read on here

Comment

I buy what I like, which is probably more than I should but less than I used to since my grandchildren have outgrown Cars.

I will enjoy looking at these... While I wish the price were lower, it's not.

Many people who are going back in line are going to help others... I'm not able to go to D23 in Anaheim but someone is going to help me out and I am grateful for that... just like I'm grateful to those in Asia who have helped me (and others) out with Taia Decotura and Taco Truck Mater, those in the UK who helped me (and many others) out with the Faux Wheel Drive promo, those in the UK and Europe who have helped me our with International carded versions of Chase Cars and other Cars, those in Europe who have helped me out with the French Gask-Its mail in promo that was very hard to get, those in the UK and Canada who helped me and others out with El Materdor, Chuck Choke Cables, and Brian Parks Motors... those in Australia who helped me and many others out with Super Chase Frosty... I've said many times before - collecting Cars is truly a world-wide effort.

Collect what you like and what you can afford... Let children enjoy playing with them if that's what you want to do... enjoy looking at them if that's what you want to do... Let others enjoy what they collect and how they collect it.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

The $100 is really not that bad guys - the cost to produce these is much more than a regular deluxe. The bigger size means more materials needed in the manufacturing and increases the cost. Plus the detailing of these 4 characters is really nice. And these large sets have to be hand-packaged which adds to the labor cost. There is no automatic machine that assembles a 4 piece set so it's not like a 1:55 scale car going through the assembly line. I believe prices for these will be insane in a couple years. I see it as 'do I spend $100 now or $300 later'. Plus if the money is a factor you can always buy 2, then sell 1 which will pay for both - so in essence you can keep one for your collection at $0.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombom77 View Post
          This is the oxymoron of collecting cars IMO! Personally I collect for my son to play with them. Would I like to have these in the collection, sure, but the box would be ripped open and they would be well played with. At those prices, Mattel can kiss my shiny white a$$.

I'm all in with Enzo on this one. This is purely an exercise in milking the collectors out of more money which is uber ironic as since when has Mattel cared about giving the collectors what they want? They arent worth $10 singularly, never mind the extortion of $100 and yes, they may well be fetching that price by Christmas and later on but so what? Does that mean you should go and buy 20 just so you can turn a profit in 12 months time? I know some folk are helping others out but others are purely looking to line their own pockets at other collectors expense and, quite frankly, it sickens me.

Sad thing is, if every collector only bought one of these, there would likely be a fair few left for everyone at RRP and it may even force the price down in future as the demand isnt as great as Mattel thought. Some people getting 6 then going back in line for more.......bonkers!

For what its worth, I wont regret having them in the collection, as much as I would like to. Ive managed without Bessie, Frank etc, so this is one more that wont be joining anytime soon.

Toy collecting is as much of an adult hobby as a kids hobby. I don't quite understand how waiting to see if a toy goes up in value, is 'lining their pockets at collectors expense'.

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm not knocking anyone who is getting multiples to help others out, that's truly a great thing they are doing but let's not kid ourselves there are plenty of people and yes I'm sure that they would be members here or on CTT or take5 that get multiples to sell on at profit

It's the same with the chase cars or rip. 30 quid on eBay for a 5 quid car! I have a spare chase miles that I could make a quick buck from but I want someone else to get it at fair trade cost not inflated price.

Mattel know exactly what they are doing and I dare say even some of the employees will get some before collectors to sell on at profit. Yes it's supply and demand but we are talking toys, not rare antiquities here.

As I said it boggles the mind!

Comment

Usually Mattel overproduces these items for SDCC. I had a chance to buy hundreds of leftover items from the SDCC conventions from 2007-2012. It was all being cleared out. Some guy paid thousands to buy it all up so I didn't get any but it was interesting to see that there were LOTS of extras from so called "limited" items. Hence there still may be a Matty day ahead here post convention.

Comment

Originally posted by PopeMobile View Post
                Usually Mattel overproduces these items for SDCC. I had a chance to buy hundreds of leftover items from the SDCC conventions from 2007-2012. It was all being cleared out. Some guy paid thousands to buy it all up so I didn't get any but it was interesting to see that there were LOTS of extras from so called "limited" items. Hence there still may be a Matty day ahead here post convention.
                maybe so, but I was not willing to take that chance with the convoy bros

Comment

Originally posted by PopeMobile View Post
                  Originally posted by carslover View Post
                  And neither am I...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I agree with you - and I did the same thing - ordered my Convoy Brothers from someone going to the convention cause I didn't want to risk being shut out.

Comment

I'll be completely surprised if Mattel didn't allot a certain quantity for online sales.

Comment

I really have to have this set...

Comment

If it does go for sale on line, when would that be? Like the Monday after? I'd love a set, but can't make it to D23.

Comment

Typically when Mattel puts items online for sale (SDCC items), the sale starts at 8 or 9 am Pacific time... I am trying to remember if the D23 Finn from 2 years ago went on sale online... I hope they made enough to put them on sale online... I want one to enjoy... I would like 2 but can't justify the expense.

P.S. New post from Met at

http://www.takefiveaday.com/2013/08/...r-subscribers/

mentions that the post SDCC sale starts today on MattyCollector.com

It looks like 2013 subscriptions are closed... they are accepting paid subscriptions for 2014 for DC Universe and Masters of the Universe for $35 and $25 each...

There are NO Cars subscriptions - I would have gladly enrolled in a Cars subscription program if they would have had one and featured haulers, Team Crew sets, and Pit Row Race-off launchers.

Comment

Working...
                            X