This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why The Hate of Backdoor?

As per topic why some Cars Collectors hate the backdoor Cars?

Backdoor to me is vital for my Cars collection! Without backdoor i think i will quit buying Cars.
    My reason is very simple because this is only the way i can buy Cars at reasonable price without inflated price tag.
    I am not saying all Cars from backdoor is cheaper but it does give me a choice.

Shipping from China is also cheaper than other parts of the world.
    A loose car from China might cost 4-5 USD to ship. Sometimes seller willing to ship 1 USD or FOC.
    Where as the same from USA might cost 10 USD to ship. This helps me to save alot of $$$$.

Another reason why backdoor is because where i live Cars is like a hit and miss thing.
    If you are lucky you will find some of the latest release, If not then you have to import.

One last question people always say backdoor cars are fake..
    As an opener, can you really differentiate ?

EDIT: I am not intending to start a racist / flame thread! I just want views and opinions.

Iv been toying with the idea if buying one lately, but dont know whether to go thru with it or not. they are inexpensive and postage is cheap but there is something fishy - one ebay seller had 99% positive feedback but when i investigated there were about a dozen or so genuine complaints ranging from cheap pllastic, looks nothing like original to didnt recieve item. all the positive feed back was from just 2 different buyers and all the feedback said was great! It would be interesting to hear which backdoor sellers have been used by members on here and if the members have been satisfied. It would definitely make it easier to get some of the cars that i cant get easily.

Comment

Funnily enough, Junior and I were discussing this in the chat room the other night (Sorry I missed ya yesterday bro!) I have the same reservations as he does.

I have been watching some of the piston cup racers from China and HK for a while and they are around 4-5 quid and either free shipping or upto 2 quid. You wont get a genuine one on FleBay for that for some of them.

The other quandry, aside from getting a plasticy POS turn up, is how can you tell if its a fake or a genuine backdoor? As Junior said, If you have a list of some sellers on eBay that sell backdoors and have received a diecast from them, please feel free to share as I agree with you Melon, to catch up without remortgaging, its likely the only way.

Comment

Without the backdoor there's many cars that we wouldn't see and also not know what is coming soon

I agree with the "trust" issue which is why I've stayed clear.

Perhaps we should start a thread to name the trusted back door sellers (for guidance only) but only "reputable" members can add to the list (policed by moderators). I'd probably avoid a list of "dodgy" sellers as it can cause all sorts of trouble. I'll have a chat with cac1959 about this...

Comment

For pure collectors I understand the dilemma.

But for me it's simple...all Cars in the house are played with by my little pit crew chief, so I don't even consider these "backdoors" sourced loose from unknown China factories given the imagined or potential health risks, lead paint etc.

I look at them with interest as indicators of future releases, prototypes, nothing more.

Comment

I think the key is communication. I tend to stress i want good condition cars but i have to understand that some of the cars will have a little defect here and there. However, i prefer the seller to tell me! So i can expect what am i receiving.

These are the sellers that i have been using over the years..
            Some had even become my friends

i usually go for
            boonshop4u* - a very nice and sweet lady. If you need certain car talk to her. She will help if she could. Try switch to the France site of ebay to see her other listing.
            honger_hehe - another nice lady that have been very helpful when it comes to my collection. She helped me on various hard to get cars. I think lately she is occupied with her real life so nothing much on her shop.
            ourtoys2008 - good seller too. You can find her on the France site. Not sure why no listing on the ebay.com

Others:-
            shrek6_cn - Hong Kong based seller, sometimes you can get cheap and reasonable stuff from him. However, i had never deal with him because of the shipping charges.

lately i did buy something from 2011toyelite and so far the cars are ok due to item is box set.
            I think 2011toyelite do have some sister shops on Ebay. You can see some of the pictures are the same

There is this seller which i could not remember the name. This seller doesn't do combine shipping
            and each item cost about 1.99-2.99GBP to ship. I think it is ridiculous. I tend to avoid him because
            his cars are usually a little poor in condition.

If you want some cool and new stuff go for mydogcallzero (everyone knows him) or one of our member which i will not mention. Otherwise, this ebay seller call leeyuchenhehe is also another seller who could get new stuff with scary price. Their sister shop is zf55555cc where they have some piston cup racers that you guys might want

I had used zf55555cc in the past but was a little fedup with how they handled a few of my packages. They did compensate me but if you ask me whether to deal or not, i will deal with them again.
            Last edited by wintermelon; 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Hey Wintemelon thanks for some of the sellers you recommended. I haven't bought anything but atleast now if I do I know who to look for.
              Lizzie at $11.99 shipped is very tempting!

Comment

I'm ok with backdoor. Similar dilemma as wintermelon. Up here in Canada, distribution seems to be very much a miss. I've bought one back door item, J Curby Gremlin. I paid a bit for him, but he was unreleased when I submitted my bid. Figures he was annouced a day later LOL.

He looks identical to the one I have carded. I was thinking about giving him to my son, but now that Enzo mentioned some potential risks, it's all I can think of now LOL

Transformers for Trade
                Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

Good post with good comments... I have purchased and received some backdoor Cars... I don't do it often... I enjoy seeing what's coming in the near or hopefully not-too-distant future... When there were no new Cars coming out, the backdoor was my "fix"...

If you want to add an Apple racer to your collection without selling your house or your first born, your options are custom (most affordable today in my opinion) or backdoor... supposedly there is a new generation of backdoor Apple Cars appearing for sale... I have an Apple made by CustomToyRevolution - he makes outstanding customs and is a fantastic person as well.

Feedback is important when purchasing from eBay sellers... also, you want to deal with a seller who tells the truth - if they sell a backdoor Apple but say it's genuine, I don't want to deal with them.

As far as lead paint - that's a potential issue with any Car, whether it's backdoor or in a packaged or boxed set - some of you who are fairly new to collecting may not know about the recall of Sarge from the Supercharged series (single) due to lead paint.

I have one of the Tach O Mint with plastic tires that has wheels and the rear window made from Vitoline... I'll try to take and post some photos.

Perhaps we should put names in the eBay section of the board... JMDL Toys helps support PCD so I encourage naming them... if we purchase online from someone else who is not a supporter of the board, I'd prefer not to give them free advertising outside of that one thread... those who support PCD and the Cars community - I believe in letting our Cars community know... if we have good trade experiences with others, we need to share... if we have bad experiences with others, we need to share... it doesn't matter if it's someone selling backdoor Cars or a retail store selling carded Cars items.

And to talk just a little bit more... some US collectors feel if a Car is not released in the US, it doesn't count - it's not released... those who feel that way would not have El Materdor, Chuck Choke Cables, Brian Parks Motors, Taco Truck Mater, Taia Decotura, Faux Wheel Drive with plastic tires, and more.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Are there any folks on the boards that sell or can source backdoors then? if they are members then hopefully they could help some of the members out with hard to source stuff?

Comment

I forgot to mention this earlier... the last few Cars items were hard to find... distribution was hit and miss - much more so than normal... to be sure we got the new Cars, a friend from Canada and I bought backdoor versions of Finn McMissile, Holley Shiftwell, and Jeff Gorvette for about $20 each in January 2011 - 4 months before the official May 16, 2011 release date... it also turns out in February 2011 I was able to get all 3 singles in cases that were released 2 months early - I was able to buy cases of singles, launchers, and Deluxe... In April 2011 Family Dollar stores sold 2011 case A and case B singles a month before the official release... By the May 16, 2011 official release, I had almost everything that was available to all retailers - I just picked up TRU, Target, and Walmart exclusives that day.

Some of my other backdoor purchases have turned out to be wiser purchases.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Thats my main concern! If I were to buy Lizzie right now backdoor for $12 great price right? Well say TRU starts selling them as part of the RSC line. Odds are I will be able to get them for $4. Same thing with Frank..I've been seeing some good prices on him lately, but what if we start seeing him released?

But then on the other side lets say these were just "Midnight Runs" and I miss the opportunity to pick one of these hard to find items up for a good price!!

Its a tough game these cars!!!

Comment

I agree with Chris, backdoor from China is just a "fix" to most of collectors, especially collectors in UK and US.
                          Not many cool stuff are in the backdoor cars. It is easy to get the cars in US and UK with a reasonable price, just sooner or later. and you can enjoy the surprise to find them in the stores, I think that is a important part of joy of collection. backdoor is loose one, and some of them has flaws, chips. Carded one is much better than the loose one.
                          Only few cars, such as EI Materdor and apple racer, the backdoor maybe is a choice.
                          To the old cars, such as Lizzie, you also can get it form US/UK too. Also we can help each other here and get some cars we need by trade.
                          A Lizzie is sold with $16 on Apr.02 on ebay, item number is 281083990379, considering the shipping cost and time, $16 is a better choice than $12 loose one from China in my eyes.
                          and Lizzie will be re-released in 2014 at least.
                          just enjoy the fun of collection, it is not a burden and math equation :-)

Comment

I get what you guys are saying but you are looking purely from a collectors viewpoint.

My little one would love a Frank or Bessie to play with and, trust me, they would get battered. Paying eBay prices for carded or even loose in those two's case is not happening just so he can batter them.

The Backdoor "Clean" Frank was more tempting but still, at 35 quid, its still too much for a toy that was originally available at around 6 dollars/pound.

If my little one wants to complete the set of Piston Cup Haulers or Racers, do I chance a Lil Torquey for a fiver shipped or try winning a battered one off ebay for 10-15 quid? its a no brainer for me and they become a viable alternative.

That being said, I haven't needed to go backdoor yet but am still paying more for played with cars than i would have if they were in the shops, such is life in Cars World eh!

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
                              Good post with good comments... I have purchased and received some backdoor Cars... I don't do it often... I enjoy seeing what's coming in the near or hopefully not-too-distant future... When there were no new Cars coming out, the backdoor was my "fix"...

If you want to add an Apple racer to your collection without selling your house or your first born, your options are custom (most affordable today in my opinion) or backdoor... supposedly there is a new generation of backdoor Apple Cars appearing for sale... I have an Apple made by CustomToyRevolution - he makes outstanding customs and is a fantastic person as well.

Feedback is important when purchasing from eBay sellers... also, you want to deal with a seller who tells the truth - if they sell a backdoor Apple but say it's genuine, I don't want to deal with them.

As far as lead paint - that's a potential issue with any Car, whether it's backdoor or in a packaged or boxed set - some of you who are fairly new to collecting may not know about the recall of Sarge from the Supercharged series (single) due to lead paint.

I have one of the Tach O Mint with plastic tires that has wheels and the rear window made from Vitoline... I'll try to take and post some photos.

Perhaps we should put names in the eBay section of the board... JMDL Toys helps support PCD so I encourage naming them... if we purchase online from someone else who is not a supporter of the board, I'd prefer not to give them free advertising outside of that one thread... those who support PCD and the Cars community - I believe in letting our Cars community know... if we have good trade experiences with others, we need to share... if we have bad experiences with others, we need to share... it doesn't matter if it's someone selling backdoor Cars or a retail store selling carded Cars items.

And to talk just a little bit more... some US collectors feel if a Car is not released in the US, it doesn't count - it's not released... those who feel that way would not have El Materdor, Chuck Choke Cables, Brian Parks Motors, Taco Truck Mater, Taia Decotura, Faux Wheel Drive with plastic tires, and more.

hey Chris

here are a couple pics of the backdoor tachomint i have

DSCN2858.jpgDSCN2859.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X