D23: Photos and more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boogity View Post
    I reckon these will look rubbish once the box is opened and that in itself tells a story
    from what I have heard these are very detailed and high quality diecasts
    but I won't know for sure until I can check them out in person

Comment

Originally posted by Bombom77 View Post
      I assume you did not read my prior posts, even though they "never cease to amaze you"

I stated that I understand a surcharge for them but I clearly stated "$200 and upwards" was taking the proverbial. What I abhor is people using it as a means to pay for their trip and their purchases by taking advantage of other collectors.

Speculate to accumulate; nothing wrong with that but speculate to rip off, thats plain morally wrong IMO. I refuse to pay over the odds for a toy that was 5 bucks 5 years ago, therefore I am happy for it to stay out of the collection.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit and there will always be a secondary market in collectable items but theres some listings on ebay for almost 500 dollars! really? that sits ok with you? Doesnt with me sorry.

(before you tell me that there isnt, heres the listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disney-Pix...item20d6426e4d)
      I think we all agree that 500 as of now is a rip-off. And no one will buy that for the price asked.

Values can naturally rise, and that is not taking advantage of anyone. If I list a set in 2 years starting at .99 and it ends at $400, am I taking advantage of anyone? If the market commands that much for the Convoy Brothers, then it is truly worth that in the eyes of the buyers.

Comment

What I find interesting is how the Convoy Bros have roughly doubled in price. People are irate about this. Yet, the new Super Chases are 10-30 times their original retail and it is barely mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by TopherDawg View Post
          What I find interesting is how the Convoy Bros have roughly doubled in price. People are irate about this. Yet, the new Super Chases are 10-30 times their original retail and it is barely mentioned.

Good point...lol

Comment

Originally posted by maxgc53 View Post
            I think we all agree that 500 as of now is a rip-off. And no one will buy that for the price asked.

Values can naturally rise, and that is not taking advantage of anyone. If I list a set in 2 years starting at .99 and it ends at $400, am I taking advantage of anyone? If the market commands that much for the Convoy Brothers, then it is truly worth that in the eyes of the buyers.
            I accept what you are saying Max. TO me however, these items will never be worth that amount. But you are correct in that statement I guess. It still raises the Q that whilst collectors may be happy to pay that sort of price, its kinda sad that my 3 year old will likely never get to reenact scenes containing Bessie, Frank, Barry Diesel and the Convoy Brothers, for example, as they are purchased to play with and you simply cannot part with that sort of money for small items that will be smashed up. At least thats how I feel about it.

Oh and No one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disney-Pix...item20d5d70c96

As for your comment Topher, you make a valid point. I would however point out that I have no super chases as we refuse to pay over the odds. Even the elusive Rip has yet to arrive. a 5 pound car going for 30 pounds on ebay? No one willing to trade one Rip for one car they want. I will wait and hope to find him.

One other thing you guys in the US need to factor in too is that us UK guys pay almost double for the cars in the first place. you had $1 dollar events recently, thats 65p to us. The cheapest we get cars is around 2 pounds ($3) and they are usually Finns, Maters and Bernoulli. We usually pay between 5-7 pound ($8 - $12.50) for one diecast. so thoretically, your 1 dollar Rip in trade to our 12 dollar, for arguments sake, Wingo with flames. we are theoretically losing 7 pounds on the deal. However that deal wouldnt happen cos Rip is more "valuable" a trade bait where you would want more than one car in trade. See where that puts us UK peeps at a disadvantage?

and you wonder why it annoys us that people are buying cases to resell at a sickening profit?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

NB: Apologies if anyone feels I have taken the thread OT.

Comment

I accept what you are saying Max. TO me however, these items will never be worth that amount. But you are correct in that statement I guess. It still raises the Q that whilst collectors may be happy to pay that sort of price, its kinda sad that my 3 year old will likely never get to reenact scenes containing Bessie, Frank, Barry Diesel and the Convoy Brothers, for example, as they are purchased to play with and you simply cannot part with that sort of money for small items that will be smashed up. At least thats how I feel about it.

Oh and No one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disney-Pix...item20d5d70c96

As for your comment Topher, you make a valid point. I would however point out that I have no super chases as we refuse to pay over the odds. Even the elusive Rip has yet to arrive. a 5 pound car going for 30 pounds on ebay? No one willing to trade one Rip for one car they want. I will wait and hope to find him.

One other thing you guys in the US need to factor in too is that us UK guys pay almost double for the cars in the first place. you had $1 dollar events recently, thats 65p to us. The cheapest we get cars is around 2 pounds ($3) and they are usually Finns, Maters and Bernoulli. We usually pay between 5-7 pound ($8 - $12.50) for one diecast. so thoretically, your 1 dollar Rip in trade to our 12 dollar, for arguments sake, Wingo with flames. we are theoretically losing 7 pounds on the deal. However that deal wouldnt happen cos Rip is more "valuable" a trade bait where you would want more than one car in trade. See where that puts us UK peeps at a disadvantage?

and you wonder why it annoys us that people are buying cases to resell at a sickening profit?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

NB: Apologies if anyone feels I have taken the thread OT.
              I hear ya man. And FYI Rip Clutchgoneski has dropped in price a LOT. He is 2 per case I believe in the recent US line up, so now is your chance to get him for about 7 pound (10 dollars on ebay in the US).

Plus you could ask to have it shipped loose if your an opener so you could save a lot on shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                oh, come on nige, mattel arent complely stupid, they know what will sell when it comes to something like this
                what annoys me is that they think their market starts in LA and finishes in Cape Cod, going via Tombestone by way of Anchorage, (I do not know n,s,w and e points in the US of A, but you get my drift - no doubt someone will enlighten me)
                Yeah, not like they wouldn't have received any information from the survey collected here back in 2010.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, Topher! It's actually being ENCOURAGED to sell the Super Chases at 10x retail.

People always complain about the prices on Ebay but when I'm in need of a car that is hard to get, the EBay prices are always quoted!

Its a vicious cycle. Mattel releases these exclusives (super chase, international only, SDCC, D23) and there is a little uproar for awhile.

I also love it when people say these are childrens toys. Even Mattel knows that these releases aren't intended for children. It says so on the box, for the ADULT COLLECTOR.

I've been trying to get a Barry Diesel for awhile. I know it won't happen unless I get over the prices on EBay (which are 3x higher now) or trade 47 Chase cars or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by carsincali View Post
                    I also love it when people say these are childrens toys. Even Mattel knows that these releases aren't intended for children. It says so on the box, for the ADULT COLLECTOR.

I've been trying to get a Barry Diesel for awhile. I know it won't happen unless I get over the prices on EBay (which are 3x higher now) or trade 47 Chase cars or whatever.
                    Its worth noting, and I would be interested in the general consensus here, how many people are collecting for their children AND themselves and how many are now solely collecting for themselves even if it started with or for the kids? I know theres a few on here, such as Cac1959 that may well be in the latter but I know that Junior and I are firmly in the former right now.

If it wasnt for my son getting hooked on the film, its likely that I would never have started collecting these lines at all, or even been aware of them if I am being totally honest.

Putting ADULT COLLECTOR on the box doesn't stop my 3 year old shouting "King Campers" when they are on the screen and thus no doubt would like to play with them.

Thanks for the dripping sarcasm however carsincali.

Comment

That survey, from July 1, 2010, was something many of us remember... I see at least 8 people who commented on the survey that regularly contribute to PCD and/or other Cars sites... but there are a lot of them from 3 years ago who no longer do.

Of the Cars mentioned in the survey, we've seen Barry Diesel and now the Convoy Brothers... 17 choices... 3 years later, we've seen 2 of 17... and how many other Cars were not mentioned as voting choices in the survey?

I wish more Cars were available to more people at better prices... I've been collecting for over 6 years... and while I still wish that, I know it's not going to happen.

Thanks again to those who went to D23, helped out others with Convoy Brothers, provided photos and messages, and helped us who couldn't be there experience D23 2013... I have more photos to upload.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I was collecting around then but was never part of that survey but dang, its been 3 years and only 2 characters (Barry Diesel and the convoy bros) have come out.... Mattel's a big booming toy business, why such slow production on them? I mean.. I wonder, unless another cars movie comes out. People aren't gonna keep collecting for years to come, if Mattel wants to make the rest of those characters, great! But make them before we're all in the after life.
                        "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

Its worth noting, and I would be interested in the general consensus here, how many people are collecting for their children AND themselves and how many are now solely collecting for themselves even if it started with or for the kids? I know theres a few on here, such as Cac1959 that may well be in the latter but I know that Junior and I are firmly in the former right now.
                          I collect these to open and let my kids play with them. I have yet to pay more than $15 for a car including shipping, and I don't plan on going any higher. I have been very fortunate to have been able to get Flash and Long GE from 1 for 1 trades and hard to find cars like Mood Springs and Tank Coat that a fellow collector sold to me for $4 each.

As much as I like it, I would not buy this set for $100, let alone ebay prices.

If I had an extra Rip, I would have no problem trading it for one of my needs and would not expect multiples. My extra older cars that are no longer available like Dragon LMQ I would only want to trade for other old cars on my want list that are no longer available, like Timothy Truecoat or something I can't get here, like Taco Truck Mater.

Comment

If it wasnt for my son getting hooked on the film, its likely that I would never have started collecting these lines at all, or even been aware of them if I am being totally honest.

Putting ADULT COLLECTOR on the box doesn't stop my 3 year old shouting "King Campers" when they are on the screen and thus no doubt would like to play with them.

Thanks for the dripping sarcasm however carsincali.
                            I apologize for the "dripping" sarcasm. I don't post very often because of this exact response.

I've been collecting for a couple years now. I also have a 5 yr old and a 3 year old in my house (both boys). The truth is I started collecting because of them but now I collect for myself too. They dont get every car and its not a big deal to them. There is absolutely no way they know what cars are released and which ones aren't. They don't keep up with super chases and SDCC exclusives. They are pretty happy with the cars they have. I just opened a Francesca for my son to have with his Franca but he wasn't excited to re-enact the Italy dancing scene. But I know not all kids are the same.

I believe that the D23 fiasco was mismanagement by Mattel. They should have had a limit per D23 pass/customer (like the 6 that was initially reported). Any that were not sold at D23 could then be available on Matty.com for anybody in any country to have a shot at.

Again, I apologize for offending anybody with my insensitive comments.

I'm still looking for a Barry Diesel at the original price if someone has one.

Comment

D23 has come and gone... I thank those who went and shared information and photos with us and helped others as much as they could.

While the US seems to have a more special events like this than other countries, I do want to remind members that other countries do have special events - last year there was the Frosty event(s) in Australia... many people from Australia or with family in Australia helped a lot of us who would not have otherwise had Frosty... there may be another Frosty event coming up - we're waiting on details.

Perhaps we need to contact Mattel and ask them to work with retailers in our countries to have events.

And even if you don't have special events in your country, your country may have received Cars that other countries haven't received... I posted several photos in the lead story in this thread:

http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...her-countries/

... and we've also seen recently Cars released in the UK and Europe that we haven't gotten in the US (2012 Miguel/Petro, Miles/Pittys, Silver Series Hudson Hornet McQueen, Silver Series Jeff Gorvette with Corvette logo)... this doesn't include older Cars shown in the first post in the above thread.

As much as we'd all like to be able to walk into stores and find every Car we want or need, it's not going to happen... we need to work together with friends in other states, provinces, countries, and continents.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

$200 for the Convoy set is really not a bad price guys. People thought Bessie at $100 was bad and then she went to $300. Convoy Brothers could be a $500 set in a year and then people will be kicking themselves they didn't buy it for $200 when they had a chance.
                                Last edited by PopeMobile; 08-13-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X