D23: Photos and more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PopeMobile View Post
    Can someone describe what the lines were like for the Convoy Brothers at D23? Was it a long wait in line and how were people handling it when they got to the front and said they wanted '20 sets'? Did people come with dolly's to load all the boxes on?
    Line wasn't hectic at all. Everyone was waiting pretty calmly, wasn't like a black friday dash. A lady in front of me bought around 25 sets, and it took a while, but when I ordered 10 it was no big deal to anyone. Everyone around me was buying 5-15, so it was no biggie that I got 10. lol

Yes people had dolly's. People were buying them in the cases of 6, which was pretty cool to see.

Comment

so did they actually run out of stock at any point over the three (?) days?

and on t5ad is appears someone called nascarfan (not sure if he is on here under a different name) got chucked out for trying to buy too many - did anyone see this?

Comment

I was not at the event... I have seen pictures and been in touch with a few friends who attended.

Mattel allocated some for each day of the event (as well as the Thursday night which was open to people who belong to the Sorcerer's Club)... they ran out of their daily allotment on Friday... they ran out of their daily allotment on Saturday... they ran out totally on Sunday... they did not allocate the same number each day.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

so i wonder how 'cool' those who were still queuing when the stock ran out each day thought the buyers pushing their dozens of boxes out on a dolly were?

the more i read about these type of events the happier i become that we don't have anything like it over here

Comment

i,m getting the impression theres a few more winkers like that "toy hunter" over there in the states

Comment

There's a few people on here getting a bit hot under the collar regards those fortunate enough to have made multiple purchases of the Convoy Brothers at the D23 the other day. I bet most of the complainants, if the situation had presented itself, would've done exactly the same and bought multiple sets! Pot and kettle and all that!

Having read both sides of the argument, I don't think there is a right or wrong and I can fully understand views on both sides, if people are consistent that is.

Collecting Cars (and many other things) is a very expensive business. Those of us with large collections are very fortunate, more fortunate that many others, I would guess?

We could probably argue from now until the end of the world about the rights and wrongs of multiple purchases, price levels, numbers produced, etc., but we'd probably not all agree.

I think I'm right in saying that Mattel only produced 1,000 of the sets? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but they had no way of knowing how many would sell. They also have to fit the manufacture in with loads of other products.

It would've been great if they had produced say 2,000 at 75 USD rather than 1,000 at 100 USD. Maybe in future, Mattel could take pre-orders as a guide to how many to produce and then add extras accordingly. All those collectors who wanted one could have one or more reserved and either collect on the day and have them delivered or whatever.

P.S. Given the chance, I would've just bought one set by the way unless anyone specifically requested a set!

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                i,m getting the impression theres a few more winkers like that "toy hunter" over there in the states
                boy the "toy hunter" really strikes a cord with ya'll over there
                the only reason I trade or sell the extra cars I have is to get more cars I don't have lol

Comment

Originally posted by niftynigel View Post
                  I bet most of the complainants, if the situation had presented itself, would've done exactly the same and bought multiple sets! Pot and kettle and all that!
                  P.S. Given the chance, I would've just bought one set by the way unless anyone specifically requested a set!
                  Why so "holier than thou" Nigel? I take offense at that opening statement. My point was and still is that someone buying something today for an (already overpriced, just my opinion) set, to turn around and offer it for sale for double the price the following day is profiteering, not "sharing" or "covering my outlay" Ask Topher to see if he bought 6 extra to "cover his expenses".

Why would anyone need more than one set? I struggle to see the merit in "one to open and one to keep" but each to their own I guess, never seen the appeal to cardback collecting but I understand why they are collected but I digress. if anyone could give me a valid reason why they would need more than 2, MAYBE 3 sets then I would be more than willing to listen to their reasoning. Until that happens, its taking advantage of the supply and demand scales and in the mean time, taking advantage of people that were/are not able to get ahold of one themselves (Notwithstanding the guys and gals helping other people out AT COST no less! Thumbs up to you good people!)

To rebutt your Pot/Kettle analogy, please do not pi$$ down my leg and tell me its raining!

Comment

Originally posted by Bombom77 View Post
                    Why so "holier than thou" Nigel? I take offense at that opening statement. My point was and still is that someone buying something today for an (already overpriced, just my opinion) set, to turn around and offer it for sale for double the price the following day is profiteering, not "sharing" or "covering my outlay" Ask Topher to see if he bought 6 extra to "cover his expenses".

Why would anyone need more than one set? I struggle to see the merit in "one to open and one to keep" but each to their own I guess, never seen the appeal to cardback collecting but I understand why they are collected but I digress. if anyone could give me a valid reason why they would need more than 2, MAYBE 3 sets then I would be more than willing to listen to their reasoning. Until that happens, its taking advantage of the supply and demand scales and in the mean time, taking advantage of people that were/are not able to get ahold of one themselves (Notwithstanding the guys and gals helping other people out AT COST no less! Thumbs up to you good people!)

To rebutt your Pot/Kettle analogy, please do not pi$$ down my leg and tell me its raining!
                    Why would I need more than 1 set? Quite frankly, to sell the extras down the line in a few years. This is an expensive hobby, and I HAVE to sell to be able to afford to keep collecting.

Besides, It seems you have a whole downer on people who buy to profit. Maybe you should boycott all products you buy because someone is making a profit at the expense of the people, right?

And nigel, you are on point. I agree with you for sure, a lot of people would be acting differently given the possibility to turn a potential profit. It's just the nature of the free market we live in.

Comment

I'd have to agree with you BomBom77 on this one, having them being limited to 1 per person would of been great, and fair. And the thing about it being a childs toy.. yeah its insane, cause to a child, these are toys, not precious metal, not pretty painted detailed characters. They're just more toy cars in their eyes that make them happy and bring them fun when they want to play with them. Its a shame that many kids may not get to play with them when half of them may be sitting in their packaged boxes in resellers houses.
                      "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

I assume you did not read my prior posts, even though they "never cease to amaze you"

I stated that I understand a surcharge for them but I clearly stated "$200 and upwards" was taking the proverbial. What I abhor is people using it as a means to pay for their trip and their purchases by taking advantage of other collectors.

Speculate to accumulate; nothing wrong with that but speculate to rip off, thats plain morally wrong IMO. I refuse to pay over the odds for a toy that was 5 bucks 5 years ago, therefore I am happy for it to stay out of the collection.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit and there will always be a secondary market in collectable items but theres some listings on ebay for almost 500 dollars! really? that sits ok with you? Doesnt with me sorry.

(before you tell me that there isnt, heres the listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disney-Pix...item20d6426e4d)

Comment

oh, come on nige, mattel arent complely stupid, they know what will sell when it comes to something like this
                          what annoys me is that they think their market starts in LA and finishes in Cape Cod, going via Tombestone by way of Anchorage, (I do not know n,s,w and e points in the US of A, but you get my drift - no doubt someone will enlighten me)

Comment

given the price and if I had the money I would of bought 2, 1 for me to take out and handle and 1 to keep in the box on display, and just to have if anything happened to the first set. But thats just me, I'm like that with some of my super favorite characters
                            "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

I reckon these will look rubbish once the box is opened and that in itself tells a story

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                                oh, come on nige, mattel arent complely stupid, they know what will sell when it comes to something like this
                                what annoys me is that they think their market starts in LA and finishes in Cape Cod, going via Tombestone by way of Anchorage, (I do not know n,s,w and e points in the US of A, but you get my drift - no doubt someone will enlighten me)
                                yes we get your drift
                                and I agree with you that mattel needs to do a much better job of distribution around the world and the US too
                                new cases of cars have been found on the east and west coast of the US while middle America has been lucky to find any new cars lately

Comment

Working...
                                X