No announcement yet.

Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2016 Finds - Part 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On my week's leave from work (last week) and into this week (in the hope of finding new cars), I visited as many stores as possible (on my travels) to see what the current situation was/is. I asked a few questions. From those that appeared to know what was going on (at stores with little or no stocks), I was told that Mattel reported that they didn't have any cars in their warehouse and stocks would only be replenished where there is 'sufficient' demand. Sainsburys, Tesco and some ASDA have plenty of the fourth case (959L) and don't look to be in any position to order new stocks anytime soon. Morrisons, certainly ones in my area and just beyond are completely dry and have taken the Cars tickets down from the shelves and trays! One store near me has just ordered ten cases of Cars singles. It'll be interesting what Mattel report back to them.

If only Morrisons (500 cases) and a few other stores / groups ordered 500 cases (collectively) that may not be enough to warrant an order (of 2 cases x 2,000) just yet.

From what I have seen, I believe that there are more than 2,000 of the 959L cases out there. That case may not have sold well in Europe and Mattel Europe may well have dumped their overstocks at Mattel UK's doorstep once again?

With at least Tesco having a sale, there's a little hope they might reorder?

TRU are OD'd on 2015 stock!

Comment

• Yeah Nigel I think demand is low these days for Disney Cars, when I re-visit stores stock levels are not going down. Hot Wheels seem to be booming and taken over the diecast market with more and more film releases, there always in the top 10 of units sold and revenue made in Toy News. Disney cars haven't been in that chart for over 2-3 years now...

Comment

• But where is all the rest of the stock? Oversized two packs multi packs etc... have Mattel not even ordered any from the supplier. I know the retailer's are fed up with the crap assortments so haven't ordered any so the question remains, where are they?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Comment

• found cad spinner in home bargains for 1.99, one each for me and that edjut a few doors up,all you lurkers know where its at now!

Comment

• I can confirm that he's telling da truth...

Comment

• Radiator Springs Classic products are now available at smyths . I did not know that the garage had been re-released.

Radiator Springs World playset
              http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/t...orld-play-set/

3-Level Garage
              http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/t...-level-garage/

Comment

• [QUOTE=rossibutton;56585]Radiator Springs Classic products are now available at smyths . I did not know that the garage had been re-released.]

You mean the single diecasts or just the links you posted?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ru5ty;56586]
                  Originally posted by rossibutton View Post
                  Radiator Springs Classic products are now available at smyths . I did not know that the garage had been re-released.]

You mean the single diecasts or just the links you posted?

I'm sure I'd reported it somewhere else, but it's certainly true that TRU's exclusive deal to sell RS Classic products is no over. I think it ended at the end of 2015 range? Up until now, no other retailers (in the UK) had taken up the offer to sell any of the range. It doesn't come as a surprise that Smyths have started to stock RSC products as they are a direct competitor to TRU and it's also the type of product they would sell! The recent 3-Car Gift Packs at TRU don't have the 'Exclusive to TRU' stickers on them but the restock of the last batch of 2015 RSC singles do. The stickers are done at Mattel's factory not by the stores!

Comment

• More the better for us collectors if both chains decide to stock RSC. I do hope the new singles show up somewhere soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ru5ty View Post
                      But where is all the rest of the stock? Oversized two packs multi packs etc... have Mattel not even ordered any from the supplier. I know the retailer's are fed up with the crap assortments so haven't ordered any so the question remains, where are they?

The (internationally carded) double packs haven't been on general sale in the UK for the four years of the 'Themed' cards. There just isn't the demand. I've only seen them at Hamleys (£18). For the first year of Themed cards, there were no Deluxe either in the UK, but Mattel persuaded retailers in the UK to stock them in 2014. There are less people collecting them because of their price (RRP £13) hence the reason why none of the 2016 Deluxe have appeared. There's loads of the last two Deluxe cases at Sainsburys and TRU. Other retailers started to sell the 2015 Deluxe and have now stopped!

The 2015 double packs (on US cards) did eventually find their way to TRU, The Entertainer and Smyths at the end of last year. Hopefully that'll happen again this year as the exchange rate is bad for Pound/US Dollar. Once you factor in USPS and customs, importing is quite expensive at the moment!

I think that assortments are quite good (20 different cars in a case of 24 cars) so it's probably not down to that, just so many other things to collect. Star Wars dominates most toy aisles at the moment!

Comment

• Originally posted by VANDANCE View Post
                        More the better for us collectors if both chains decide to stock RSC. I do hope the new singles show up somewhere soon!
                        Not to mention Toons at ASDA!

Comment

• Originally posted by VANDANCE View Post
                          More the better for us collectors if both chains decide to stock RSC. I do hope the new singles show up somewhere soon!
                          On my way to see Neil Young at North Greenwich Arena, I popped into Smyths and ASDA at Charlton. I saw the RS Classic sets at Smyths. They were obviously destined for TRU originally, as they still had the TRU stickers on them! Someone had tried to rip the strickers and had ripped the packaging, oops! Another one has the sticker blanked out with a black marker pen!

Comment

• Nigel, on your visit did you see Timothy Timezone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ru5ty View Post
                              Nigel, on your visit did you see Timothy Timezone?

Smyths only had the two box / play sets. They were £14.99 each. The Charlton store only has a small Cars section.

The only singles they had were the 4th 2016 case (959L), some Silver Racers and a few other (old) odds and ends.

Mattel wouldn't normally supply stickered exclusive items to a competitor, so the fact that the RS Classics series is available to anyone who wants it, probably means we won't have to wait too long for them to appear at Smyths! Will Timothy appear with the red nameplate (like the US ones) or will he be blue?

Comment

• Cheers Nigel. I'm not bothered if it's red or blue as I get my hands on one.

Comment

Working...
                                X